Thread: Need help mounting Davit on 20' Olympic

Default Need help mounting Davit on 20' Olympic

I'm planning on mounting a crab-pot puller and davit on my 20' Olympic (1988). The hull is glass and there is foam on the inside of the gunnel where I'd like to put one of the mounts. I don't want to drill through unless I know there's wood behind the glass. When I reach up underneath, all I can feel is foam, and I need to either drill into something solid, or be able to put a nut behind any bolts. Can anyone here offer suggestions for how to mount a davit on this hull?

I'll include a picture of the starboard side of the hull (just behind the cabin) where I'd like to mount it. I labeled the areas where I'd like to mount the davit brackets A (side) and C (floor). Any suggestions you can give me would be great?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drill through, dig out the foam, back up your bolts with a nice thick pad of plywood against the fiberglass and put a aluminum plate "washer" over the whole piece of plywood and tighten down the nuts. Oh Yeah, buy some shrimp pots from me

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Potbuilder

Thanks for the tip! I'll dig through the foam using the plywood method, that ought to hold it.

I'd buy some pots from you, but I just got into building them myself. No worries though, mine are solely for personal use, not selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I'll dig through the foam using the plywood method, that ought to hold it.

I'd buy some pots from you, but I just got into building them myself. No worries though, mine are solely for personal use, not selling them.
    Lets see what they look like? are you using vinyl coated wire or a frame & nylon netting? just curious??? If you need any of the wide clips like i use let me me i've got ones that you hand crimp on.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up

I have the very same year and make of boat here in S.E. AK. I mounted my davit in the same spot using a backing plate for the mount at the "A" point and 2 inch stainless lag bolts for the "C" point. The pull stress for the davit will be on the floor at the "C" point. I also put some silicon caulk under the bracket at the "C" point. I know it's a difficult thing to be drilling holes into your boat, but the fact is, you'll be saving your back for the "hole" effort!.....shrimp-on!....K
    Last edited by kwhale; 04-15-2007 at 10:33. Reason: mis-stated stress points

Default Kwhale

Thanks for the input Kwhale. Those are great little boats aren't they? I really like the hull, although it is starting to show signs of aging.