Thread: Gulkana River Update

Default Gulkana River Update

I have been getting plenty of calls about fishing on the Gulkana so I hope this gets to those who are interested.

We are seeing fewer floaters on the lower river due to the catch and release Kings so you will see very few other rafts. Most outfitters have headed south for the July 1st King opener.

I had 4 groups out today and 3 of the 4 came back landing kings. One group of hard core guys were on the river by 6:30 and hooked 6 kings and all were sporting color so we are getting late into the run for sure. I watched Kings rolling at Sailorís Pit today.

Reds are slow as we are between runs. I expect to see the second run hitting the lower river in the next week or so.

I have had a number of groups who are running the upper river and they are finding tight lines in the upper canyon through the middle fork reaches. Big Rainbows and plenty of them as well.

Water levels are good as the upper section has had lots of rain.

I ran my Zodiac on Paxon Lake down to the exit and the fly fishing at the outlet was crazy good on dry flies and Mepp spinners as well.

I will keep you posted. Shoot me a PM on contact me on my busness link if you have any questions.

Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Fish On!

fishhook, ak

Walt- quiet now about the paxson outlet. no need for a gold rush down there. but can i request that you post a few grayling pics for those of us enjoying the gulkana vicariously? It will be a couple of weeks before I can make a run.

had the old yellow achilles I got from you in the Mat last night between chickaloon and kings with family and 9 and 10 year old nephews. Soaked them a few good times on nova bend and in a few other spots. Thought you'd enjoy hearing of my getting the old girl out.

I might call or PM you for some 411 on the reds before we head up there if it's ok.