Thread: Trouble in Barlow again

Default Trouble in Barlow again

Thief in barlow again. Had problems last year and ened up stowing my pots earlier then I wanted to. Went to check them the other day and found the zip ties on my doors cut. I'm about ready to take my FN-FAL and set up shop accross from my pots and see If I can put a half dozen rounds around the guys waterline. I'm tired of this BS. Anyone have any suggestions on a better place to set where the chance of having to commit manslaughter is less likely?

What if it's just really smart sea otters?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

FYI since you posted it here first you've upgraded to Murder.

Not that i'm trying to discurage you from scaring the piss out of the crook, just don't go to far!

Bummer. Here's an idea to make your floats less noticeable in the first place, don't know if its legal though. Use a laundry detergent or motor oil gallon size plastic jug for your float. It would appear to be junk.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Bummer. Here's an idea to make your floats less noticeable in the first place, don't know if its legal though. Use a laundry detergent or motor oil gallon size plastic jug for your float. It would appear to be junk.
    A friend at work(The Slope) told me a story of the former Homer chief of police who used a piece of driftwood as a buoy for his king crab pots. This was after they had closed king crab fishing in Homer so he was trying to be sneaky.
    I suppose this would work especially if you had the required info on the driftwood.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

back when I was a kid, my father used to buy old telephone poles and cut sections about 6-8 inches long attach an eye bolt and use them for crab bouys. No one ever checked our pots, I guess they wanted to stay away from the "deadhead".

Another idea in a similar vein is attaching your line to the bottom of a duck decoy, although you'd probably want something like a scoter or bufflehead so as not to attract attention.

I think that using buoys that are easily visible serves two purposes. It helps you find you pots and it allows others to see where your pots are so that they don't run over them (or the buoy). If someone uses logs or something that's hard to see and can do damage to a boat if it's hit, then there's not much that the boater who hit it could do to that setup that I'd have problems with.
    Last edited by skydiver; 07-25-2011 at 14:37. Reason: spelling

Hmmmm,
    I like the FAL idea!! Maybe just tie 80 ft of floating line on your bouy to get in his prop!!