Thread: Making TENT Footprints....You done it....?

Default Making TENT Footprints....You done it....?

I have a few 8'X8' Bomb shelter spare floors that I want to make into footprints for some new tents that are en route. Other than putting the grommets in the right spot..........what else is there to it......?

I read an article on making footprints out of tyvek, all I can remember is to make the footprint smaller than the tent floor so water doesn't pool under your tent.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I read an article on making footprints out of tyvek, all I can remember is to make the footprint smaller than the tent floor so water doesn't pool under your tent.
    Good point. This application is for using the tent fly only, without the tent. I have done it with bomb shelters, using parachute cord to hold the legs in place. Makes a good cook tent with no floor.

Default footprints

A year ago my spouse and I went on a camping trip to the Tetons. We rented our tent from a tent rental company, problem was that we needed to make out own footprint for the tent that we rented. I've used Tyvek as well, but this time I used Polycyro and it worked great. It was not as sturdy as Tyvek but it was lighter to carry. Using a footprint definitely prolongs gear and helps everything stay less dirty. Hope you find this information helpful!

Default medium wt clear polyethylene sheet

I just cut a sheet of clear plastic slightly smaller than the footprint of the tent (and at least portion of the vestibule), not the heaviest stuff, but certainly medium wt. I think around 2 mil will do - or maybe it is 4 mil - check it out at a hardware store. On any given 10-days of camping in alaska - it is beat to crap....but so what? And you can toss it and make another one easy.

Personally, I always felt the commercial fabric footprints for $40 bux were a complete scam aimed at suckers who have never camped on anything but sand and pea gravel.

IMO simple plastic sheet protects alot better against punctures on uneven surfaces than any of those space-age expensive things.....and costs alot less.

The Tyvek idea works well and stows nicely with the tent. We cut ours about 2" smaller than the base of the tent so it doesn't catch water like .338 mentioned. Only downside I can think of is that it is fairly noisy but that isn't really an issue once the tent is set up. Also, it is a big white flag if you need a signaling device.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    The Tyvek idea works well and stows nicely with the tent. We cut ours about 2" smaller than the base of the tent so it doesn't catch water like .338 mentioned. Only downside I can think of is that it is fairly noisy but that isn't really an issue once the tent is set up. Also, it is a big white flag if you need a signaling device.
    I think you guy are talking about a protective layer for the tent floor. What I am talking about is leave the tent at home only take the fly and poles. Now you need either to rope the poles inplace, or you need to make a footprint to hold the poles in place. Do you use nylon and grommets or just 550 cord........???? This is for emergency survival application in my use.

I have a Mountain Hardware Trango that does what you're talking about. Go to the Mountain Hardware site and search for footprint. You should get a picture and specs.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!