Thread: felt boots or rubber hippers...

Default felt boots or rubber hippers...

So I'm caught between what I would do and what my daughter wants. I need to outfit her and the options are...buy a pair of bootfoot waders to go with an extra pair of felt bottom wading shoes I have or buy her a pair of rubber boot hip waders. Does she need the felt soles up there or will the rubber bottoms work. She is not going to cross streams or scramble over deadfalls but will probably just stand in the edge of a stream or on a sandbar.

Thanks

Are you going to be up here visiting for a fishing trip? Or do you stay up here
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Just up on a trip. In NC, I would go boots and waders because of all the slick rocks. Never fished Alaska before and didn't know how slick the streams are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2079BS View Post
    Just up on a trip. In NC, I would go boots and waders because of all the slick rocks. Never fished Alaska before and didn't know how slick the streams are up there.
    When is she coming up? Felt soles are still legal this year, but will be illegal next year up here.

Next month.

its hard to beat studded rubber sole boots.

Because the felt soles are being phased out I would go with another option because they would not be legal in all areas in the future. Itr is likely that most of the other fishermen that you will encounter will be wearing rubber soled hipboots.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

If fishing from banks or out of a boat, just get a pair of cheap hip boots and be done with it. Nothing could be simpler, not much to think about as far as I am concerned. If wading and such, of course some waders would be useful. But from what you describe, a $30 pair of Gander Mountain specials will do fine. Hope you guys have a great trip.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2079BS View Post
    Just up on a trip. In NC, I would go boots and waders because of all the slick rocks.

With the exception of SE Alaska, I have yet to fish anywhere in Alaska that has rocks as slippery as the Smokies here in NC.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Rubber with studs would do just fine. Or even just rubber.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I got her a pair of Pro-Line rubber hips/lug soles and they work, not really comfortable, or so she says. I fear I have a priss on my hands. Oh well, going in the morning to try a pair of bootfoots. Maybe she will like them better. Going to Charleston Sunday for 4 days of fishing, naps, long lunches, cigars and beach chairs with a good friend who is home from Baghdad. Reds (spottails) on the flood tides and trout under the docklights at night, lots of practice. Picking up my flies for up there from Scotty D while I am there, can't wait to tie one of those big leeches on and see how it throws.

Really appreciate the help.

Oh yeah, picked up a new piece of equipment for the trip...will put up a picture when I get back.

For making hip boots more comfortable, throw a nice pair of insoles in them. The $20 type sold in backpacker stores, REI, Great Outdoor Provision Company, etc...

As for flies, be sure to check out the selection on the website for Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. A Juneau based shop, great customer service and best flies out there. If you have time in Anchorage to hit a few fly shops, be sure to go by Mossy's and World Wide Angler. They have everything you could need and then some.

Good luck with the reds. Bite is picking up from what I hear. Consider popping a bobber with a MOA shrimp under it if the flies don't get attention. 3" gulp poggies are getting some play as well from what I am told. Heading to Bay River north of Morehead City with the kayaks Mon and Tue to try my luck at them as well.

-Dan

Success! Took her out again this morning in search of bootfoot waders. The rubber hip waders bunched up behing her knees and weren't cut right (?). Anyway, we found a pair of breathables that fit and she really likes them, even though she protested that hip waders were all she was interested in wearing. Best part, they were only $70. Small investment to make because when she falls, and she probably will, at least won't get as wet.

Hope this isn't obvious but there was that bunching behind the knees comment in the thread:

It is customary to have a leg-length clothing on, whether that be pants, fleece, or some thin patagonia. And you have to wear socks also. Might be a good idea to have some thick socks too, to ensure a comfortable fit in the shoes- which are sold in whole-sizes only.

You don't wear shorts, kick your flip-flops off, and put on waders or wading shoes next to bare skin.