Thread: soldotna reds

Default soldotna reds

Was wondering if anyone is catching second runners in soldotna yet?

Guys from work have tried in the last few days with no success, counts are still pretty low.

Sorry to say..... there will not be very many coming in until the 21st to the 29th. That is the timeframe the FISH GODs and I have made an 'arrangement' for them to show up in mass Well atleast a guy can be ahope'n!!!
    If you have not guessed, that will be the days I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    Sorry to say..... there will not be very many coming in until the 21st to the 29th. That is the timeframe the FISH GODs and I have made an 'arrangement' for them to show up in mass Well atleast a guy can be ahope'n!!!
    If you have not guessed, that will be the days I will be there.
    if that was the case how long wold they take to hit the Russian? the second run usually has smaller size fish right?

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    if that was the case how long wold they take to hit the Russian? the second run usually has smaller size fish right?
    The second run has larger fish I believe. The word on the street is they typically show up around the end of july beginning of august.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Look at fish count....

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Looking at last years fish count, July 19th had the most fish counted out of all the days. Right now the netters are probably getting them.

ahhhh, this time of year again! For the past 14 yrs we've been arranging/scheduling our Alaska trips around run timing. I come up from about July 14-16th thru Aug 2-4th.
    Like radfisher pointed out, third week is a great starting point.
    One point about the run counts; once the fish are "in" enough to catch with some success, I don't pay attention to the run count after that, just go fishing! Can't tell ya how often I've seen people at the coffee shop, hardware store, gas station, etc. comment about poor numbers and that affects if they fish or not. Just go fishing! It's what to do this time of year and you'd be surprised how success can appear during "poor" run counts.
    Jim

BIGJIM has it right .... JUST FISH!!!
    On last year's trip my wife & I fished two days on the Kenai - did not catch a fish. A brother / sister duo fished with us both days- only one fish caught. Yeah it was a bummer, but I am doing it again this year because I like to fish. Sure beats the heck out of sitting at home or (worse yet!) being at work around sick people.

Big Jim,

Yer PM box was full so I left you a message on your profile page.

Professor - I was hoping you were going to show me how to catch reds! My confidence has been severely shaken Mike.

- Jay

Went down to Maintenance hole yesterday with plans of flogging the water for a few hours. All 4 of us should have had at least 1 fish on the stringer but failed to land any except for one of my friends landed a small Pink. The same guy actually foul hooked a 2nd pink as well. They were moving through just in small numbers. We also met up with a friend who was fishing for Kings on the Kasilof and fished there for a while. Saw a few rollers but didn't see anyone hook up in the few hours we were there.

Jay,
    What I meant to say was we did not catch any kings. We vacpak'd our share of the reds and silvers though

I predict friday/saturday for the big push to hit the river mouth they are on the east side of the inlet now sharpen youre hooks