Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pot soak, how long is too long?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Shrimp pot soak, how long is too long?

Was thinking about dropping a pot on Sat and then heading back down on Monday. Is this WAY too long to let a pot soak?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

It really depends on how much bait you leave in the pot. We leave our pots out all season and our best pulls are after 4 days of soak on fresh bait. But! Our pots are built with huge bait tubes, that last 10 to 14 days

Default Soak Time

Here is a picture of one of our pots. This one has 1 tube, some of ours have two
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the standard shrimp pellet bait lasts about a week, so you are fine with your soak time. I don't think you end up with any extra shrimp after a day or so.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

2 or 3 days is fine. that is as long as I have soaked for. If your bait cans have tiny holes and not too many sea lice you will be perfectly fine. It does give more time for predators to climb aboard.

Do the shrimp in the pots begin to pale (become less pink) after a certain amount of soak time?

I have found that after a few days of soaking the average size of the shrimp goes way up. on a 5 day soak i have just large spots in the pot, but in the same area on a overnight soak there would be less total shrimp and lots of them are smaller coons and spots. but if the bait runs thin all the shrimp will leave.

What is the best(cheapest/most efficient/smartest) way to bait a 72 hour pot?

I would worry about sand fleas eating all your bait. On every set I have made I have at least one bait can that is stuffed full of the little ocean maggots. Not sure there is any way to avoid them.

I now use the pellet food from Donalsons, they told me it will last 2-3 days and I only needed a handfull for a 24 hour soak. Anyone ever bait there pots with salmon heads or rock fish heads??
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I don't mind the sand fleas, it seems my most successful pots always have sand fleas in the bait jar. As far as how long the bait lasts, I'm suprised with the donalson pellets, I'd add a couple more in every day, but they seemed to last fine in their bait jars with the small holes over a 4 day period.

I've used salmon heads, and I can't say for sure, but they seem to help in addition to the pellets. I hang them from a piece of gagnion from the top of the pot.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

In the area that I fish after about 48 hours, the starfish and octopus pull up a table to the all they can eat shrimp buffet. Plus the fleas eat all my pellets as well, I did changed over to the orange tube for bait and they worked better.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    In the area that I fish after about 48 hours, the starfish and octopus pull up a table to the all they can eat shrimp buffet. Plus the fleas eat all my pellets as well, I did changed over to the orange tube for bait and they worked better.

Steve
    Steve,
    Great pictures. That's the primary reason we started building our own pots and bait cans. We drill smaller holes in our bait cans and built smaller entries in the pots, this has helped keep the octopus and crabs out of the pot. Although it seems like some octopus can get through any size hole.

I was suprised at how the starfish get in the pots, I had one that must have been 24" across in the pot. I only had two octopus in the pots this past 4 day weekend, longest soak was 24hr, but I mostly tried to pull morning and evening.

The octopus mantle diced up like calamari strips and the shrimp sauted then a can of pasta sauce added made for a pretty tasty pasta on the water.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    What is the best(cheapest/most efficient/smartest) way to bait a 72 hour pot?
    Old moose meat works like a charm.
    Is that a fillet knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I'll usually throw in an old left over herring from halibut fishing in with the pellets. Seems to help and I'd rather use it that way than throw them away.

Also, I was talking with a guy recently that had a good idea. He said to put the bait in an old panty hose/stocking. The material is open enough to let the bait smell out but will not allow the sea lice in to the bait. Sounds like a good idea. My wife has plenty of old ones around; I'll give it a try next time I go out.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Thanks for the replies and tips guys! I think i iwll give it a shot and see how it works out.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

about half an hour down here, right at dusk and then watch for the shrimp poles to start swaying with the tide. 8' cast net and about 40 minutes to fill a 48qt cooler.

Really cool pictures of the octopus!

Quote Originally Posted by SC2079BS View Post
    about half an hour down here, right at dusk and then watch for the shrimp poles to start swaying with the tide. 8' cast net and about 40 minutes to fill a 48qt cooler.

Really cool pictures of the octopus!
    Our shrimp are a lot deeper than in South Carolina.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    I'll usually throw in an old left over herring from halibut fishing in with the pellets. Seems to help and I'd rather use it that way than throw them away.

Also, I was talking with a guy recently that had a good idea. He said to put the bait in an old panty hose/stocking. The material is open enough to let the bait smell out but will not allow the sea lice in to the bait. Sounds like a good idea. My wife has plenty of old ones around; I'll give it a try next time I go out.
    Heck I will buy new panty hose if it keeps the sand maggots out of my bait. I don't really mind them but my wife just about pukes when she sees them... this for a woman who worked on crab boats and seiners.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I figured they were...how deep?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast