Thread: Record before you leave.

Default Record before you leave.

Just a reminder that you must record the date and location, and the number of each species harvested on the permit. If dipping from a boat, record this information before leaving the area open to fishing. The city dock and boat ramp are outside of the area open to dipnetting, so do not wait until after you pull your boat out to mark fish and record the harvest on your permit. If you are dipping from shore, record before you leave the beachand mark your fish before concealing your fish from view. These are the two most common violations that occur each year and each carries a $110 fee.

AKTALLY IS RIGHT. Two years ago I thought I was being nice at the Kenai city docks and decided to record my fish once on top of the ramp. This way other boats could pull out also. I pulled out and up the ramp, my fish were in plain view with tails clipped. Once on top of the dock, I was approached and asked if my fish were recorded. Said I was going to do it at that moment. Wrong. I didn't think I was in the wrong until asked if I could dip any fish from where my boat was sitting on the boat trailer. That made the case.
    The smartest thing to do is anchor 100 feet from the dock, cut tails and record, before you get to the circus, called the city dock!! Saves time, fines and aggravation. Tight nets folks!!! The whop... dipnetters association
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default how strict are they? I think if varies...

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    If you are dipping from shore, record before you leave the beach
    Last year I heard an officer tell the guy next to me that his fish needed to be recorded before he left THE PART OF THE BEACH WHERE THEY WERE CAUGHT, which is more stringent than how I understood it before. Previously I had merely recorded before I drove away from where people dip, to where they don't/can't dip.

As bad as this sounds, I've never heard of anyone that got a ticket for a messy tally on their card, and tick marks are good too (instead of writing a number), since you can continue to add ticks throughout the day as you move from one place to another on the beach. A pain? Yes. But I do it 'cause I don't want to be one of the many guys they write tickets to every year.

And of course clip tails before they're put into a closed cooler. Its surprising how many people don't know to do this. I pile the fish in a kiddee toboggan pulled behind the ATV to keep my fish in one place until the fishing slows, then I clip and throw them on ice, then when the fishing slows more I gut/gill'm and put'm back on the ice.

Great reminder thread aktally.

Default what if...

you fillet your fish on the beach, and have them all in ziplocs with no tails with you when you leave? how do they enforce that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    you fillet your fish on the beach, and have them all in ziplocs with no tails with you when you leave? how do they enforce that sort of thing?
    Then you're good, so long as your card is marked and adds up to right number of fish.

I always see guys do that, but I can't obtain the same quality as when I fillet them at home after. One rule I have, is that no meat of the fish (or big game for that matter) ever touches water. Yeah, I wash the outside of the fish before I fillet it, but never after. I think it makes a difference in taste, in the long term.

We were checked in Chitina for proper recordkeeping, had hit shore when he walked up, we were dipping out of a boat and the fish were in plain view but was told by the Trooper that they are supposed to be recorded at the spot the fish are taken, so on the river....................!

He was polite and did not ticket us, but I can sure see myself out in the river, wind blowing, 5 people dipping and trying to keep track of the permit. Wonder how big the fine would be if I told him it blew away while trying to comply?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Then you're good, so long as your card is marked and adds up to right number of fish.

I always see guys do that, but I can't obtain the same quality as when I fillet them at home after. One rule I have, is that no meat of the fish (or big game for that matter) ever touches water. Yeah, I wash the outside of the fish before I fillet it, but never after. I think it makes a difference in taste, in the long term.

I was wondering the same thing. I always fillet them on the beach and then clean them up at home before taking them to get frozen/smoked. I wasn't sure if it was illegal to do that or not. They are all in plain sight before I fillet them though. And you're right. I never let the meat touch water. I clean the outside of the fish to get all the sand off of it, then I fillet and throw them in a bag. Nothing worse than sand in your salmon meat.

One more question. Do I still need to clip the tails if I just throw them on the beach until I clean them?

If you are on the beach where dipping, no you don't need to clip tails.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Do I still need to clip the tails if I just throw them on the beach until I clean them?
    Throw them on the beach????

~tr

I meant whole fish. Before filleting them.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I meant whole fish. Before filleting them.
    You're good to go, your present method. During those memorable 30 minutes of one after another I leave'm on the beach too, but in a little tobaggan (to bleed). Then I clip'm and put'm on ice the second it slows down.

I think also it really makes a difference to never let water touch edible meat.