Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Trolled up a Burbot

  1. #1
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default Trolled up a Burbot

    Our oldest son caught a skinny 36" Burbot while trolling in deep water in the middle of the day last weekend. It was the first Burbot we have ever caught trolling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member J2theD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quite a pleasant surprise I'm sure nice fish!

  3. #3
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    What a fish! Was that a lure? Arent burbot bottom feeders? Ive never target them Im a little curious as to how to fish them.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  4. #4
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    You can jig em up with spoons.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  5. #5
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    That's a big burbot...nice surprise, I'm sure.

    I'd be getting beer-batter ready.....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Nice looking burbot! I've fishing for them on Big Lake but never got them.

  7. #7
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    That Trees party barge?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Wow! Now that's a beast!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I got one trolling at Paxson once.

  10. #10
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Thanks for the comments. The weird thing was that when we caught it we were moving from one trolling spot to another at a speed a lot faster than we usually troll and it hit at about 40' from the bottom. He must have been following us for a long time. We've caught a lot of them in the winter but this is the first in the summer and the first one we've caught suspended 40' off of the bottom. He must have been hungry.....

    Dirt- We were fishing off of my boat and also wanted to say that sure was a nice LT you caught last weekend!

  11. #11
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    That pic make it look like he was on top of the party barge. I haven't heard of a burbot being caught mid summer..... ever that I can remember. That burbot is very very sweet!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  12. #12
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    mmmm.... burbot!!!

  13. #13
    Member Theone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Valley,Alaska
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Nice Catch Man!!! Does anyone know any good Burbot recipes???? I heard you can boil them in sugar.

  14. #14
    Member AKnook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    580

    Default

    wow, thats a nice fish man!

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    Nice Catch Man!!! Does anyone know any good Burbot recipes???? I heard you can boil them in sugar.
    Good Catch

    The best for tablefare I have eaten, were boiled in a couple liter's of Sprite pop...Poor Man's Lobster taken from Lake Susitna
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member 900fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    sweet fish! i boil them in water with a pinch of salt then dip em in butter very tasty!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

  17. #17
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Good Catch

    The best for tablefare I have eaten, were boiled in a couple liter's of Sprite pop...Poor Man's Lobster taken from Lake Susitna
    We usually deep fry or boil them in sugar water but I like the Sprite pop idea!

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    We usually deep fry or boil them in sugar water but I like the Sprite pop idea!
    Try it!!! I guarantee it's good. The carbonated aspect of it adds something...

    Just like simmering Moose meat in Coke...that is another good one!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •