Thread: Chums in the Kenai area in June

Default Chums in the Kenai area in June

Sorry I forgot to mention I will be there from the 10 of June to 17 before heading North to see some friends. Any chance of finding Chums in that area during June.

No, there are no Chums on the Kenai Peninsula. I have caught a random one or two in the Kenai in the past 10 years. There are lots of kings on the Kenai Peninsula that time of year.

Ditto what yukon said...

When I was a boy living at Eagle Rock, my brother caught a Kenai chum on a Pixee... that was back in 1975. A neighbor kid's dad, a native who grew up on the river said he had only ever seen one other Kenai chum in his lifetime.

Neither my brothers nor I have seen another Kenai chum since.

Not sure where the remnant "run" spawns or if these are just Susitna strays. I think AKPM may have posted something about Quartz Creek chums a few months back... I've only ever seen reds, silvers, and kings in Quartz.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

caught quite a few chums fishing in Hope....

there's suppose to be a run of 200 or so fish in quartz creek, I think I read that in an AFF newsletter plus the ADFG catalog has em in there. The best bet for chums that time of year is in granite bay in PWS just watch the comm openers I'm sure it can be zooish in june around there. June is pretty early for chums.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Kenai Chums

Iv'e caught three or four over the last 5 years while fishing for reds in the middle river.

There around, but certainly not in enough numbers to consider targeting them.

Default chum

i caught my first chum on the kenai this past fall. i was on the middle river fishing for silvers. until then, i had never heard of one being caught in the kenai. supposedly, as powder monkey said, there is a very small run on quartz creek. i have the feeling most or all of those fish are "strays." i believe, however, that there are a few rivers on the kenai running into PWS that get them in decent numbers. none that are real accessible, but i did talk to some guys that said they made a hike out of seward and got to a small creek that was full of them. they claimed that they caught them one after another... i inquired about this spot (can't remember what it was called) and the local shops in seward told me it was closed to salmon fishing. does anyone else know anything about this?
    Mark W

Default caught three

A couple years ago my father and I caught three in one night while fishing for reds and silvers out of the soldotna park. we were fishing overnight, and caught a ton of fish, we thought they were silvers because the reds were turning red and it was very dark. The next morning when I was fileting them I was very suprised, they were still very bright and if I had not had their identity confirmed by a pair of guides i wouldn't have believed it.

But this was in the first week of August.

Resurrection creek in Hope and Six Mile both have a few chums every year. Usually get em when fishing for silvers - not a lot but consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    but i did talk to some guys that said they made a hike out of seward and got to a small creek that was full of them. they claimed that they caught them one after another... i inquired about this spot (can't remember what it was called) and the local shops in seward told me it was closed to salmon fishing. does anyone else know anything about this?
    Mark W

The creek itself IS closed to salmon (as are ALL flowing waters in Ressurection Bay). However the saltwater at the mouth is legal.

The place you're looking for is Tonsina Creek. Drive to the Caines Head trailhead at the end of Lowell Pt. It's a 2 mile or so hike in. And yes, it is PACKED with chums. Spent MANY weekends there as a kid with a driftwood fire on the beach and catching ocean bright chums until my arm was about to fall off. Good fishin there!

Best of luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Question

I never caught a chum. Only red about them abit. I was of the understanding they they didn't make very good eating? Whats the real scoop?

reuben..

Like all salmon, even the lowly pink, chums that are fresh, sea bright are darn good eating. Ivars salmon bake, a long time fixture on Lake Union in Seattle, uses chum for their alder smoked indian style dinners...or at least thats what one of the cooks told me a few years ago the last time I ate there. One of the best salmon dinners I've ever had.

Default thanks

i appreciate the info alaskahippie. it's amazing that i couldn't find anyone in seward that could tell me what you just did. some looked at me like i was crazy when i asked about it. what time of year is best? i'll surely be making that hike this coming summer/fall.
    Mark Wackler

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    i appreciate the info alaskahippie. it's amazing that i couldn't find anyone in seward that could tell me what you just did. some looked at me like i was crazy when i asked about it. what time of year is best? i'll surely be making that hike this coming summer/fall.
    Mark Wackler

Most likely many locals there are unaware of the chum run out there. Silvers are THE Salmon in Seward. Its been MANY years since I fished it, I WANT to say Mid June or July is the peek, but I honestly can't recall...I'd give F&G a ring, they may have a better grasp on that than I do.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default chums

early to mid july is when i alway's had the best luck for chums, the later in july the more they have turned colors on you. I was there a few years ago 2002 i think, and the run was huge and the fish were over 15lbs, by far the biggest I have seen. man they were a blast, they would make screaming runs like a king and a couple even tail walked for me.

Default What color is good?

The only Chum's I've seen are in magazines. They where a motted green brown color. Do they go through color phases during spawning as well? What does one look for?

reuben...

This one is almost too dark to eat

this is one I would be hesitant to even touch

good pictures AKPM - the guides in the Mat-Su used to market the dark ones as "calico salmon". I wouldn't touch one either.

Default not keeping em'

i wouldn't fish for chums to keep them, just for a heck of a good time on the ole' 8 weight.
    Mark w.

heh they are a blast when they are fresh but I don't want to touch the nasty ones even if they are fun to fight, they are just too easy lol