Thread: City of Kenai has reduced its fees.

Default City of Kenai has reduced its fees.

For those who do not get local Peninsula news there is some good news for you.
    Earlier this year the city of Kenai raised it's fees for parking/launching for dipnetters from $15 to $20. The reason for the increase according to the Kenai City Mayor was to pay for the removal of fish carcasses.
    Since the city has been unable to find someone willing to provide this service they voted to reduce the fee for this year back down to $15.
    Seems a bit steep to me even at $15 just for parking but then again I use a boat to dipnet. The reduced launch fee will be nice though. I saw today that they have their pay booths in place already.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What a lot of people don't seem to realize even if it is posted, and this included me up until a couple of years ago, is that this is not a state facility, it is a City of Kanai facility and they foot the bill for Port-A-Pottys and what maintenance there is. When I finally realized this, it became much easier for me to fork over the $15.00 fee as I knew if it was, at least supposedly being used for clean-up, maintenance and conveniences and it wasn't a matter of being twice gigged, both in a fee as well as taxes, the user fee then became much more palitable.

I know some prefer to go to Kasilof as at least as of last year there was no fee, but the Cans could get pretty full up, and I don't refer just to the dumpsters either. I would willingly pay some fee down there just to have the place cleaned up better, but Kasilof really doesn't benefit that much from the dipnetters the way things are right now and let's face it, some really prize pigs are out there using, or maybe I should say abusing facilities and making it rough on all of us due to their squalor. Best advise I can think of is to keep things clean, respect the areas, and consider the user fees cheap under the circumstances, and be thankful we still have them.

As to the impending rise in fees at Kenai, it is inevitable and bumping it up another $5.00 sure wasn't enough, it would seem, to get any applications from anyone to do the work, at least this year. So, maybe it will have to go even higher, or we will have to do a better job of policing ourselves and maybe pitch in and clean up after some of the pig's mess just so that we can enjoy the facilities and use the resource. I don't like to pay any more than anyone else, but we do need to pay our way and I would rather do that than lose the resource.

If anyone has any better ideas, please chime in.

UHLDWM, Good post, rep points coming your way.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    What a lot of people don't seem to realize even if it is posted, and this included me up until a couple of years ago, is that this is not a state facility, it is a City of Kanai facility and they foot the bill for Port-A-Pottys and what maintenance there is. When I finally realized this, it became much easier for me to fork over the $15.00 fee as I knew if it was, at least supposedly being used for clean-up, maintenance and conveniences and it wasn't a matter of being twice gigged, both in a fee as well as taxes, the user fee then became much more palitable.

I know some prefer to go to Kasilof as at least as of last year there was no fee, but the Cans could get pretty full up, and I don't refer just to the dumpsters either. I would willingly pay some fee down there just to have the place cleaned up better, but Kasilof really doesn't benefit that much from the dipnetters the way things are right now and let's face it, some really prize pigs are out there using, or maybe I should say abusing facilities and making it rough on all of us due to their squalor. Best advise I can think of is to keep things clean, respect the areas, and consider the user fees cheap under the circumstances, and be thankful we still have them.

As to the impending rise in fees at Kenai, it is inevitable and bumping it up another $5.00 sure wasn't enough, it would seem, to get any applications from anyone to do the work, at least this year. So, maybe it will have to go even higher, or we will have to do a better job of policing ourselves and maybe pitch in and clean up after some of the pig's mess just so that we can enjoy the facilities and use the resource. I don't like to pay any more than anyone else, but we do need to pay our way and I would rather do that than lose the resource.

If anyone has any better ideas, please chime in.
    What I don't "realize" is how much money they take in, and how much it costs for the porta-potties, perhaps some policing, protecting the Fragile Dunes", etc. and of course for collecting the fees, too.

It seems premature to jump to any conclusions, without knowing this information.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I didn't have a problem with the fee for parking but, last year's numbers showed that the city of Kenai made substantially more money than they spent on the dipnetting.
    In my mind they should either provide more services or cut the fees in the event that they make money like last year.
    The fee is the same as last year and I don't see them providing any more services this year.

A friends dad who is 70 years old and a retired commercial fisherman went to the beach when they first started charging people.
    His intent was to dip a fish for the grill and one or two for his smoker. He will go dipping several times each season and do this and living in Kenai it isn't hard to hit the beach often.
    Being a retired comm. fisherman he has no interest in rod and reel. Anyway he parked on the side of cannery road not in the pay zone. As hewalked past the pay shack they asked him to pay. Needless to say he argued with the guy in the booth and refused to pay the fee to access a public beach. He told them to do what they had to but he would not pay and would not use their porta jons. Nothing happened.
    Remember this is still a public beach and 345 days a year the beach is free to use and park on.

As for the city failing to find a service provider my understanding is they wanted someone who could deal with or had use for the carcasses. I am sure most businesses who need/use carcasses can find all they want in July from the fish canneries.

With the increased cost of gas and $150 dipnets and more and more fees dipnetting isn't as cheap as some claim it is.
    Granted there are homade dipnets and the Kasilof currently has no fee.
    Enjoy these lower fees while you can as next year they will surely increase.

It would appear the city of Kenai made $103,143.58 according to the cities dipnet report.
    by my rough estimates that is 25% to much.
    Read it for yourself if you want:
    http://www.ci.kenai.ak.us/Dip%20Net%...Net_Report.pdf
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    It would appear the city of Kenai made $103,143.58 according to the cities dipnet report.
    Correct, as far as you went. You neglected to say that they complained pretty bitterly about making this hundred grand. :-(

The people that run the city services and departments are fine with dipnetting. They know the city is doing a good job, things are going smoothly and the city is making $$$. The people who are elected are the ones grousing about dipnetting. They are just pandering to their base, Comfishers. Even though 5000 Kenai area residents say they dipnet.
    Politics as uaual is all I can say!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?