Thread: Seward or Whittier this weekend?

Default Seward or Whittier this weekend?

I have the opportunity to get a 22' boat for the weekend and am debating between Seward or Whittier.. I am leaning towards Seward, but haven't heard much about Whittier fishing.. Also, it is only a 22' boat, any chance I could catch halibut rather close in at either place this weekend? A few buddies and myself would really like to halibut fish, but from what I have read the halibut are out a little further than what I should probably attempt in the boat.. It will be my first time to run a boat in AK. I have done it plenty of times in the Gulf of Mexico out of Galveston, TX, but I am sure it is quite different up here... Also, any advice on rigs for halibut? Or should I just give up the halibut all together and try to focus on silvers?

Thanks in advance!

Seward forecast is calling for 15mph south winds and 3 footers. Whittier passage canal is 10 & 2.

If the 22 footer is a deep V ocean boat I would not hesitate either place. 15&3 can mean 30 and 6 in a blink. Wind usually kicks up on resurrection in the afternoon. Port Swells you just never know but I have always done good in PWS on a 10 & 2 forecast the day before or day of.

I am debating the same thing but we are taking an 18' river boat.............I am leaning towards PWS and lookin for some rockies, shrimp and maybe some reds. Uncle wants to goto seward for silvers, butts, and rockies.....we will make the call tomorrow, but I prefer to ride a floating boat rather than a sunk boat.

Being new to the ocean here in AK you can never be too careful.......Seward has very few places to run and hide - - Whittier has lots of them, but to get back to port you have to cross em.

That's a tough one. PWS doesn't give up halibut easily, unless you head way out in the sound, and IMHO too far out for someone unfamiliar with the water.

On the flip side, as mentioned Seward is almost always going to be bigger waves and no real protection, but you don't have to run nearly as far, and on average I've found Seward to be much more productive for fishing.

As for halibut tackle, they are exceedingly easy fish to catch, it's finding them and getting bait or jig in front of them that is the challenge. I prefer using jigs, but there is no doubt a circle hook with a whole herring on it is a consistant producer.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default Seward

I am also new to the forum and to saltwater boating in general. The guys on here gave me some great advice and so finally the last two weekends Ive gone out of Seward and got limits of halibut both times (lucky so far). I haven't gone super far (25 miles maybe) and I am only in a 20 foot Hewescraft sportsman. So it depends on the boat and what your comfortable with. On the way back it usually gets a little bumpy, but nothing you cant go through. Just uncomfortable. There isnt many places to duck in though. Just depends what you want. I'm heading down tomorrow after work if you wanna meet up let me know. Good luck!!!

I was talking to a guy who fished at fox island 4th of july weekend, he said that they where pulling up a bunch of silvers and 40-75 lbs halibut. Go out and soak some lines and have fun! You'll catch something. I'll be going to Seward, maybe to pony and a little past there for some lings and halibut.

You can keep lings in Pony ? I guess I better check the boundary line...

Ressurection is now getting a 10 & 2 forecast - - leave in T-3 hours........

I think he meant a little past Pony for lings and halibut. As long as a little means far enough

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You can keep lings in Pony ? I guess I better check the boundary line...

Ressurection is now getting a 10 & 2 forecast - - leave in T-3 hours........
    I'm sure he was meaning past Pony (and past Aialik) for Lings. Cheval was smokin hot last weekend, you guys are going to have a blast!! Res Bay is almost always forcasted at 10 & 2, just use caution rounding the capes. Cape Suckling to Gore Pt is forcasted for 15 & 5, but as we all know, it's better to simply make a run out there and see for yourself.

I will be heading down in 2 hours, if you are a silver salmon I feel sorry for you.