Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start at Jim Creek

Default When to start at Jim Creek

I'm ready for the reds and silvers in the Valley! Last year I think I started fishing the Tailrace for silvers around the 21st of July and Jim Creek around the 24th and got fish every time I went. When will people start to target them in the Valley? All the fish I got last year where silvers? Where are the reds going that are at the mouth of the Tailrace? They always seen really red when I'm seeing them in late July?

thanks

20th to 25th is about when I start trying every year.

reds??? in the valley??? let me know cause I'd like to find some too. Reds have too much room to move around at Jim, Eklutna is too silty, and generaly the run isn't strong enough to make it worth the time. Fish Creek is closed until Aug 13th.

I'm not seeing much for options here.

I'm headed out to Jim Cr. tonight, I'll post a report here tomorrow. Seems like we usually catch silvers/reds at a 2/1 ratio out there when the fish are running strong. Wish me luck!
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I'm headed out to Jim Cr. tonight, I'll post a report here tomorrow. Seems like we usually catch silvers/reds at a 2/1 ratio out there when the fish are running strong. Wish me luck!
    -J
    would like to know. need something to do this weekend
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    -J
    yes please let us know. im itching to fish there this year.

I predict very slow silver fishing, if any, but possibly some reds. It's still a bit early.

Its a bit early yet but ive been watching and put a line in the water for about a half hr today. there are some reds that do show up before the silvers. they should be in, in a couple weeks.

Nothing to speak of last night, no rollers, not even a dolly. Prolly another couple weeks and they'll be in, at least it was beautimus out there as always.
    -J
    Last edited by jay51; 07-08-2011 at 15:41. Reason: grammar

bummer deal. At least the scenery is good. Still scouting for tomorrow. Looks like Ill be hitting a lake.

Always looks like a nuthouse with the wheelers up there whenever we fly over jim. Fun to scare everyone when you buzz them tho
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Always looks like a nuthouse with the wheelers up there whenever we fly over jim. Fun to scare everyone when you buzz them tho
    I don't mind the buzzing. Just don't crash into the river and spook all of the fish.

That wont happen.. Usually jusy buzz all the knuckleheads trying to cross the water. Then go land and enjoy the glacier
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Nothing happening at Rabbit slough either.. took a quick survey with C6 Batmobile and saw nothing but minnows.

Nothing on Cottonwood, checked it out this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Nothing happening at Rabbit slough either.. took a quick survey with C6 Batmobile and saw nothing but minnows.
    minnow by the droves. You could have filled buckets with em.

For people who snag, never. For real fisher folk, silvers will start trickling in the last week of July. I will be out hitting the creek soon, and a heads up to any would be violators. I WILL report you if I see you breaking the law. I've been taking my kids there for years. Easy to do when its your back yard. Over the last few years its been steadily getting worse. Let's keep it real people. Do your part and report violators.Also remember that reds do not feed in fresh water due to their odd diet. So if you catch them in the mouth, its pure luck. Tight lines and happy safe fishing.

I would expect both reds and silvers would show at Eklutna Tailrace before they show at Jim, and a lot easier to check on. Bud

I am pretty positive I have seen reds or silvers rolling in the tailrace already this year. I have a buddy that starts fishing the knik in early July and usually starts to pick them up by the first or second week. Although he hasn't had any luck yet, but he has only been out once this season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Daplumber View Post
    For people who snag, never. For real fisher folk, silvers will start trickling in the last week of July. I will be out hitting the creek soon, and a heads up to any would be violators. I WILL report you if I see you breaking the law. I've been taking my kids there for years. Easy to do when its your back yard. Over the last few years its been steadily getting worse. Let's keep it real people. Do your part and report violators.Also remember that reds do not feed in fresh water due to their odd diet. So if you catch them in the mouth, its pure luck. Tight lines and happy safe fishing.
    That's the attitude all us sportsmen need to have.

I walked back there last night. Even growing up in the Butte I had never been back there that way (I've gone via canoe and airboat,) I've always heard horror stories about that trail so that is why I walked back there from the parking lot. I was surprised how wide it was and I watched a couple cars pass me. There were a few guys that stopped to make sure I was OK which was very thoughtful.

I saw a few guys fishing. I didn't see much else other than people on their wheelers. I really want to go back and try for silvers when they are in. Would a vibrax tied to the end of the line work OK or do I need some sort of swivel and leader set up? I have only fished with a guide and was not familiar with how to rig a line at that time. I really want to catch some on my own!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast