FYI: Just showed up on the internet.
FYI: Just showed up on the internet.
Could be any of us every time we step into the woods. I'd rather get eaten by a grizzly bear in the Whites than stabbed by a mugger in NYC any day.
Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.
Since Congress laid the smackdown on the Nazi Park Circus regarding carrying personal defense firearms, there is no excuse for going unprepared.
Now what ?
From the bears perspective this was a DLP killing.
He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
I'm a fatalist (I think that's what it's called ) When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem
What one of those big, cuddly, furry, teddy bears hurt someone? Man these bears are starting to make Disney and the Animal Planet look bad! All joking aside, this is a tragic accident. My condolences to this manís family.
These are all good comments. I was just at Yellowstone last week; I spent three days and two nights there (in a tent) and didn't see a single bear. I drove 200 miles through a National Forest on my way to Cody and back and didn't see a single bear then either. I did, however, see one trail with a bear warning sign and some bear scat. In retrospect, perhaps I was lucky.
I lived in the yellow stone region of montana for a while and attacks were very seldom but they are becoming more frequent in that area. They have been trying to open a drawing for a few grizzlies every year in the gallatin river canyon and areas around there but it never gets approved, and as a result their are alot more encounters. I am not saying it would have saved this mans life or anything if they had a harvest just an observation
"Horns make pi$* poor soup"
Gives a walk in the park a whole new meaning......
You can bet that this bear has been darted before and laced with Angel Dust...All those that have killed in Yellowstone have that in common.
Parkies...hmmmph...Making Druggies one at a time.
"96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
One out of 2 MILLION Yellowstone visitors are INJURED (as opposed to killed) by bears. This was the first fatal attack in Yellowstone in about 25 years. Put into perspective, it seems that bears are one of the lesser dangers in Yellowstone, behind driving, people, hot springs, falling, hypothermia and so on.
BTW the 1 of 2 million visitors would be more meaningful if it was just the number of visitors that step off the board walk or get out of their cars and head down the trails. Maybe more like 1 in 500,000 or so. Still good odds of coming back home.
I'm shocked that a Grizzly killed someone, listening to the tree huggers I thought they were all fuzzy and cuddly. At least that is what they tell me when they ask why I would want to hunt one. (sarcasm)
My heart goes out to the mans family.
"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
there was a woman killed last June 2010, but i dont think it was inside the park. It happened on the western side, it was during my stay while I was traveling up to Alaska.We stayed a little over a week. I cant remember the details of the incident, or what caused it. But your right people go there and think it's like some kind of petting zoo or something. Man I was just waiting for one of those Buffalo to go crazy on someone. Its sad though that it happened. I have not read the details, I'll have to look it up and read about it.
"Bear attacks are extremely rare. No one was hurt by a bear in Yellowstone in 2010. This is the first time a human has been killed by a bear in the park since 1986."