Thread: Herring in Auke Bay?

Default Herring in Auke Bay?

I was curious if anyone knows if there are any herring in Auke Bay still? I was thinking about taking the kids down to the dock to jig for some herring, but I have no idea if they are still around.

I heard they were there a few weeks ago. We stopped by yesterday to fill up the boat, but I didn't see any kids on the docks.

For the record, I've never jigged for herring before. Does anyone know if there are herring still around there? I heard the little dock by the harbormaster's office was the best area. Is this true? Is it best to go during a certain time (low or high water slack?)

Any other tips would be appreciated.

J

fam tried it 2 days ago....seems the dollies moved in and the herring moved out. Dollies are still fun for the little ones tho. Its to bad the whole harbor is over run with tourists and whale chasers tho. Have fun.

I tried it a few days ago as well on the dock just below the Harbor Master's building. No herring either, but got some little Dollys and a whole bunch of what looked like little Cod (I think we called them Tom Cod when we were kids, not sure if that is the real name).

Default herring?

I had the same question and even started to create a thread on the subject. Was wondering if anybody uses sabinki (SP?) rigs to jig for them. I don't mind purchasing bait, just seem to have better luck when I have fresh herring.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

I took my kid down there a couple weeks ago, and no luck. A couple weeks prior to that, we had tons in a 1/2 hour. The spot to go is the little dock that sticks inward toward the harbor mastors office, where all the skiffs dock.

It's a blast! It was my first time, and my son had a good time, and I got free bait for trolling!