Thread: Long Range Deer Load Sighted In

Default Long Range Deer Load Sighted In

I went to the range this morning to sight in my long range deer load with my Savage 116FHSS. I fired a five shot group and was just barely left of the center line so I adjusted one click right and fired five more rounds. My extreme spread for 10 rounds was 11.10fps and my deviation was 6, and it was the 165gr HPBT G/K moving 3168fps. I am getting much better extreme spreads and deviation numbers with Remington brass. What I think is so cool is the fact that I shot five then adjusted one click right to see if the scope moved as I expected (throwing the 7th round) and still have a 10 shot group just under an inch minus bore encluding the one round I threw.

165gr HPBT, IMR4350, Rem brass, CCI250 primers, moving 3168fps, ES 11.10 and Dev 6

I shot a 10 round group with my Ruger Hawkeye 358Win using AA2495GR. Still have to adjust load and sight this one in. All in all it was a good day.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

just wondering how this can be called a "long range deer load" when you haven't even grouped it at 300 yards ?

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    just wondering how this can be called a "long range deer load" when you haven't even grouped it at 300 yards ?
    I have been loading this load for 13 months for my 300Win Mag, I practice every two months at 600yds starting at 300 then working to 400, 500, 600. This same load has taken a whitetail at 618yds, I think it qualifies for my long range deer load. What do you think? I was only sighting in my rifle after working with my heavy for caliber reloads.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm chuckling......Nice shooting Mike, I would say anyone who can shoot that group at a 100 could probably get on a deer sized critter at 300 to 600 . But I've come to believe you can shoot.

I think its interesting about Remington brass....My guess is that the typically thicker Remington brass gives a little higher velocity than say Winchester brass and that is closer to the sweet spot velocity for your rifle. Just a guess. In any case, good group and good loading there for that 300 WM. I enjoy that cartridge a lot too and have used it for several long range shoots both hunting and competition. I used to used holdover for my hunting shoots, using a standard Leupold scope, 3.5 to 10x or 4.5 to 14x and just hold at the top or a portion of the animal depth above and was pretty effective at that. Do you use a hold over, flat sight in or click up? Most nowadays seem to like to click up for the range. Good shooting and good to see your posts.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I use hold over when game is 360yds to 450yds. Past 450yds I use clicks. I have a 20MOA rail and I have no trouble with clicks out to 800yds (which I refuse to shoot at an animal at that distance even though I hit paper at that distance) with my Bushnell 4200 3-9X40mm. This is a hunting rifle and hunting scope (rain guard, it works) any time I am spot and staking I try to get close even when in Arizona but when stuck in a shooting house on a gas line I do have to take some long shots.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the many new posts Beartooth. I too enjoy hearing about your experiences, and while I thought you'd talked about coming around here less, I'm glad you didn't stay away long. Good shooting!

Thanks HuntKodiak, I was suppose to go to Tanzania with my work for 6 weeks starting July 17th but due to economic considerations. My work has set it for next year if things change. I hope it changes because that will let me hunt there once again during that time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice shooting. I am a big fan of the Sierra game bullets in my 308 as well. I use to shoot the HPBT GKs in my 7mm mag. But so far have only used the 165g GK in the 308, they shoot so well I don't want to try anything else and have performed flawlessly on deer, goat, and caribou.

Good luck, deer season is coming. But you better get back to the range and tighten those groups up!!
    hahaa see ya.

Nice shooting!

Thanks AKmik
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very sweet BT, have you done anything to that 116 or is it all factory?
    I think I may need one in say 223 or 243 to play with???
    I threw a Bushnell 4200 on my Thompson encore 50 cal some years back and tried to find fault with it as I am pretty much in love with Leupold's - but darn it just keeps puttin those deer down...
    I am also glad your back "playing" with us!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Very sweet BT, have you done anything to that 116 or is it all factory?
    I think I may need one in say 223 or 243 to play with???
    I threw a Bushnell 4200 on my Thompson encore 50 cal some years back and tried to find fault with it as I am pretty much in love with Leupold's - but darn it just keeps puttin those deer down...
    I am also glad your back "playing" with us!!!
    Smokey, it is all factory, I have not touched a thing, I shoot it just like it came out of the box. Yes, I love Leupold and Zeiss, but for ruggedness, moving and tracking every time exactly where I want to move and great in damp and wet weather, I can't fault the 4200 Elite by Bushnell, and I can shoot good with it. I am glad I have more time and can give some attention to the forum, and it is good to be back playing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS