Thread: Jetcraft XS Throttle Neutral position question...

Default Jetcraft XS Throttle Neutral position question...

Hello Everyone-

I was wondering if there is "fix" for the finicky throttle on our boats that must be PERFECTLY set to NEUTRAL before starting the engine... For me, there is no definite "click" or N position that is easy to hit and the tolerance is like 1mm up or down.. Kind of a pain in the ass and when I shut down I always do a quick restart and shut off to make sure the engine is ready to go if we have to get moving fast..

Thanks,

M.

Simplest fix I can tell you and it will be your call on whether to do it but... Just disconnect the neutral start switch wires and jumper them. Be warned, it will start at any throttle position and will dump you into the bottom of the boat pretty quick with poor hope of recovery if things go bad. Other alternative is to make sure it's rigged right for that control. Just because it came to you like that doesn't mean the guy who rigged it knew what he was doing. See your dealer or go online for the manual for that model of control and rerig it to suit you. None of this stuff is rocket science-that's why I can fix my own stuff.

I think I know the control you're talking about and yes it is hard to get perfectly into neutral. On the ones I was driving there was no detent or anything you feel when you're in neutral. You could wire in a momentary switch that you hold down when you want to start the engine. I never had the neutral safety hooked up on my XS and I did start it a time or two way out of neutral and it sure can get your attention. My XS had the older controls and it had a great detent that locked it into neutral. It was a side mount control. Aren't the new ones a top mount? Do you know the model of the control? Maybe there is an adjustment that can be made.

possibly use a sharpie and make a little mark on the control to indicate netural?....the box you're using is a pain until you get used to where neutral is...the few times I've driven a SJ with that control I just turn the key and move the control until the starter engaged...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I tried the sharpie marker trick. Did not work that well for me. A detent would be better. Im in Pennsylvania and will not be hauling the boat to dealer (5 hour drive) until late fall. Im having too much fun with it right now!!In the meantime I will call Jetcraft and get a shop manual for my boat if they exist.Thanks Mike

T's right. That control is a pain in the arse for sure, but you can get pretty quick with it if you turn the key to the run position and THEN move the throttle till the engine kicks. The morse control has way better detent for sure.

Ok. I'll try that this weekend...turning key to run position and then moving throttle..

Quote Originally Posted by halibutcollier View Post
    T's right. That control is a pain in the arse for sure, but you can get pretty quick with it if you turn the key to the run position and THEN move the throttle till the engine kicks. The morse control has way better detent for sure.
    Ok.. that worked great!