Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flossing Anchor River silvers?

Default flossing Anchor River silvers?

Has anyone ever tried flossing the silvers down on the Anchor as they enter slide hole area? I prefer to get the freshest fish just coming from the salt. Been a few years since I was last there, but remember it was pretty shallow at the bend and was a narrow strip leading in.

No, I catch plenty of them legally. They're silvers, not reds. Pretty sorry sight to see 20 guys lined up on that narrow channel all snagging fish. If I ever see that show again I'll call the wardens. Hope you're not considering joining that crowd. Many of us locals have been exploring ways to prevent that piracy. Someone even introduced a proposal at the last F&G meetings here last fall to go to circle hooks only. Obviously not a good idea, but introduced as a way to stop the unsportsmanlike behavior many of us have witnessed on the river in recent years.

Emo

Ret. LT. Col - Desert Storm Veteran

Flossing.... the cancer killing the sport of angling.

Whatever happened to the ethics of fair chase and tempting a willful biter with a legitimate presentation?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

They not only floss silvers but kings as well. When the Anchor is open to king fishing there are guys with fly rods that fish all day long catching and releasing. They have it down and are good at it. The same with silvers. When ever I used to go down there when you could fish for kings I was done when I landed one. Usually the first fresh salmon of the year and much anticipated!

Silvers (unlike reds) voraciously go after a variety of lures and bait. Why would one waste time trying to line them? You can catch your silvers in the salt or fresh without lowering yourself to the very unsportsmanlike method of "flossing".

If I was going to fish for the freshest of silvers in the Anchor, I would go down near the mouth and target them as they come in with the tide.

So... It's ok to floss reds, but not anything else? It's unsportsmanlike to catch reds?

How about dipnetting or putting out a set line for butts? Fish wheels?

The hypocrisy kills me!

I do agree though, no need to floss anything but reds. All others are voracious predators. Learn to fish for them if you want to develop (approved) skills. It is funner that way too!

I don't buy into that "fair chase" thing anyway. I hunt and fish to feed my family better quality and cheaper products than you can get in a store... All with a "sportsman" license. I don't need to gillnet 200 reds to feed us, Just floss about 30 for the year.

Anyway, don't get offended people. Morals and ethics are good. Some are just different than others. I follow all applicable laws and regulations. Be courteous and stop ****ake-ing on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by emo View Post
    No, I catch plenty of them legally. They're silvers, not reds. Pretty sorry sight to see 20 guys lined up on that narrow channel all snagging fish. If I ever see that show again I'll call the wardens. Hope you're not considering joining that crowd. Many of us locals have been exploring ways to prevent that piracy. Someone even introduced a proposal at the last F&G meetings here last fall to go to circle hooks only. Obviously not a good idea, but introduced as a way to stop the unsportsmanlike behavior many of us have witnessed on the river in recent years.

Emo

Ret. LT. Col - Desert Storm Veteran
    Rep to you !

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    So... It's ok to floss reds, but not anything else? It's unsportsmanlike to catch reds?

How about dipnetting or putting out a set line for butts? Fish wheels?

The hypocrisy kills me!

I do agree though, no need to floss anything but reds. All others are voracious predators. Learn to fish for them if you want to develop (approved) skills. It is funner that way too!

I don't buy into that "fair chase" thing anyway. I hunt and fish to feed my family better quality and cheaper products than you can get in a store... All with a "sportsman" license. I don't need to gillnet 200 reds to feed us, Just floss about 30 for the year.

Anyway, don't get offended people. Morals and ethics are good. Some are just different than others. I follow all applicable laws and regulations. Be courteous and stop ****ake-ing on other people.
    Relax Trapp, and follow your own advice.
    Agreed, if you want to catch reds, better do so with net or lining. But for other species, including halibut, they come to you (if you are fishing correctly) and there is no need to "floss" them. To do so would be ridiculous.

If you ranked salmon by easiest to catch cohos are right up there at the top. Probably just below pinks. I've gone down to the local hatchery before and caught my 6 on spinners before the snaggers had 3 on the beach. Usually by fish #4 or 5 I'd have them asking me what I was using. I've even given them spinners before so we could all fish without giant hooks flying around.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If you ranked salmon by easiest to catch cohos are right up there at the top. Probably just below pinks. I've gone down to the local hatchery before and caught my 6 on spinners before the snaggers had 3 on the beach. Usually by fish #4 or 5 I'd have them asking me what I was using. I've even given them spinners before so we could all fish without giant hooks flying around.
    I do not rank them quite that high but, they certainly can be agressive at times, particularly on an incoming tide/entering a stream or in the salt. I would put them middle of the pack most of the time, after pinks and chums.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Flossing.... the cancer killing the sport of angling.

Whatever happened to the ethics of fair chase and tempting a willful biter with a legitimate presentation?
    Nothing wrong with hit for Reds Doc. Nothing at all. Now i would not say the same for silvers or kings

The strike of a fresh silver hitting a stripped leetch is way more fun than snagging an unwilling biter. IMHO
    I fing the whole lining snagging thing repulsive and will not participate in a fishery that requires snagging in order to catch the fish.
    I find it moraly and ethically wrong, but that is just my opinion.

I'm curious to know what you guys think the difference is between drift fishing a fly or eggs or corkie/yarn and "flossing".

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm curious to know what you guys think the difference is between drift fishing a fly or eggs or corkie/yarn and "flossing".
    Two different mentalities. Some people don't have the confidence, and use the flip and rip technique on every river they fish.

1. I am hoping to entice the fish to bite my offering
    2. Rippers try and force feed the fish

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    In my opinion, with drift fishing the fish targets your offering; with flossing, the hook is being pulled at considerable speed with the intention of connecting with the open mouth of a red (which probably, in most cases, has no desire to bite anything). What's your opinion, Limon?

There is no need to floss or flip for silvers. I have caught just as much silvers on bait and lures than anything. And I would rather have the fun of the fish attack my bait/Lure besides having to snag in the mouth etc. I only flip for reds.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    In my opinion, with drift fishing the fish targets your offering; with flossing, the hook is being pulled at considerable speed with the intention of connecting with the open mouth of a red (which probably, in most cases, has no desire to bite anything). What's your opinion, Limon?
    Well I asked because where I come from (Washington) we almost exclusively "drift fish" for salmon (Kings, Silvers, Chums, Pinks) and i've often wondered how often those fish are actually "hitting" the corkie/yarn rig that is standard down that way. I will say that fish caught "drift fishing" are almost exclusively hooked with the hook portruding from the inside to the outside of the mouth of the fish.

When I am red fishing I don't use the YANK at the end and basically feel like i'm drift fishing minus the corkie and with about 1/3 of the line out in the river. Which is of course why I posed the question. Perhaps i'm not flossing at all, although I don't feel like i'm doing anything different that the folks around me, minus the YANK at the end of the drift. Perhaps my drift fishing experience makes it easier for me to feel fish than folks who have been lining all there life and so they need the YANK?

Seems to me that flossing or lining is basically drift fishing with a big YANK at the end. Curiously ADFG considers that YANK a "snagging motion". I don't think they can site you for it but they will harrass.

Almost seems to me to be a menality than all that different of an actual technique?

The difference is with flossing your hook is on the outside of the fish's mouth since you're basically snagging the fish in the mouth as the fish swims into your line with its mouth open. With drift fishing, the hook is usually on the inside of the fish's mouth since the fish actually strikes at your offering.

Don't forget all the fish that flossers "accidentally" hook in the back, tail, fin or wherever. They take 20 minutes to land them and the release them thinking they are going to live.... nope they die and I see them floating belly up a few hours later. I generally have a very low opinion of anyone I see flossing a silver or king. Anyone can snag a fish, learn to catch them. You want to feed your family salmon, grab a dip net and go get some reds. You want to feed them some silvers or kings... learn to fish.

Don't even ask my opinion of people I see flossing and dragging steel head out of the Anchor or Deep Creek....
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I still don't see much difference in actual technique, "drift fishing" uses an attracter 1.5 to 4 feet from a weight which is bounced along the bottom. Flossing uses an "attractor" to remain legal which is placed 1.5 to 8 feet from a weight which is bounced along the bottom.

Seems the big difference is in the implementation of the user? WHere I come from we would call that "snaggers" vs. "fisherman". Perspective I sappose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast