Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge SS Pilothouse--Anyone have one??

Default Wooldridge SS Pilothouse--Anyone have one??

I'm working on my short list for boats, and I like what I see of these on the internet, but I'd like some real-world feedback from owners on what they think. Good/bad/things you'd like to change/things you like the way they are, etc.

I'm looking at the 29' Offshore SS Pilothouse with extended cabin, but I'll take any feedback.

BCriverhunter on here has one, have not seen him post recently, he is probably out on his boat. Check out this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uild-has-begun! and then you can PM him for more info.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    BCriverhunter on here has one, have not seen him post recently, he is probably out on his boat. Check out this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uild-has-begun! and then you can PM him for more info.
    Thanks JR2.

I will never understand why, when I use the search function, it never finds what I want even though there is a thread that has exactly what I put in for search terms.....

Talked to a guy at the Homer boat launch just this past weekend who had one (think it was the model you are referring to) and he liked it but said he wished he would of waited and bought something used with a wider beam. His biggest complaint was the boat was very "basic" for what he paid for it. I got the impression he was looking for something with a little more bling.
    He didnt seem to dislike the boat, just had the impression he wanted something nicer and wider.
    Tennessee

Yeah, the basic boat is pretty basic, but you can customize like crazy if you get it built. The thread that JR2 linked is a pretty amazing build...has about all the toys and gadgets a guy could want.

I have a 26' with self bailing deck and twin 150's in my dreams. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I have a 26' with self bailing deck and twin 150's in my dreams. Does that count?
    Not quite, but I'm right there with ya'.

After seeing the build thread and all the customizations, I've got some good ideas for my dream boat. I wouldn't do all of it exactly like he did, but a lot of it was perfect.....

50mph top speed would kick ass, too. I think...until I burned through a 100 gallons in half a day, anyway. It's a far cry from the last family boat I had access to, which was a very nice Nordic Tug with a top speed of about 12 knots. I had a love/hate relationship with that boat.

Sent you a PM........

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    Sent you a PM........
    Got it, thanks.

I have spent some time in their 23/26 and now a 29, I like it the best for the room and all out comfort when out on the water. My friends have the 29, I have 6-7 trips out in it in the last 2 years now. The boat gets great fuel mileage with the Yamaha 150's on it. The boat does everything they say it will do thier videos and fuel consumption charts are spot on, we seem to get a bit better on fuel than the charts says.
    You are welcome to come look at the boat if you like I am here in Anch. We hope to be in homer with it next weekend.

I could go on and on about the boat. I have had several Wooldridge jet boats, currently a 23 Super sport Drifter and can't say enough about their products, with the ability to customize you boat to your needs is a plus with Wooldridge.

One of my friends has a 26 with twin Suzuki 140's that is just about finished and should be here in a week or two.
    Send me a pm if you would like more info.

I went to Marita and looked at a 29' they have there. It's nothing too fancy, just the basics, but it gave me a good idea on space. Both the cabin and the deck are huge. There was a lot of unused space inside that I would totally build up, though. Thought the price was steep for a base-model with no electronics installed...162k. Made me wonder how much a custom job would cost me.

I need a test ride in one out in some typical K-bay or Resurrection Bay chop to see how it handles.....

Wow that does seem pretty high. At last years boat show they had a 29ft with twin 150hp Yamaha's, fully decked out for $150K. It was the self bailing model and if I remember correctly had just about every option a guy could want.

Not sure because I am in Juneau, but perhaps the 29' was the new wide body model SS Pilothouse.

If you are considering spending this amount of coin on a boat take a look at a Sea Wolf
    http://www.seawolfmarine.com/

They are custom made, one at a time, to your specs. If I ever order a new boat it would absolutely be a Sea Wolf.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If you are considering spending this amount of coin on a boat take a look at a Sea Wolf
    http://www.seawolfmarine.com/

They are custom made, one at a time, to your specs. If I ever order a new boat it would absolutely be a Sea Wolf.
    Snowwolfe's got a good point and one I've thought about as well. When you get up to that ballpark you should start looking custom boats, made exactly as you want them. There's another manufacture that makes a nice boat in Homer, Bayweld Boats I think. I've seen several of them around and they are pretty sweet rigs.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I was taken aback by the price of that boat, for sure. I figured that'd be about the top end with customizations all done. From what I've seen and heard, Wooldridge will customize as much as Sea Wolf. That being said, right now I have 3 manufacturers I'm looking at, and it will be a pretty heavily customized boat. When I get closer to being ready to do this (not quite there financially yet), I'll probably basically tell each one what I'm looking for, and put it up for bid.

Sea Wolf is at the top of the list. I love their boats and the interiors are pieces of art. But it also has to be a serious fishing boat, and a comfortable one for extended cruises, so my list of options is long, and I'm sure I won't get everything I want because it just won't all fit....lol.

I really would like a sea trial in a Sea Wolf and a Wooldridge so I know how the hulls handle conditions, how much you get hammered around inside, how much roll they have at drift, etc. The Sea Wolf looks more aggressive and over-all better for bigger seas, but you can't always tell just by looks. Wooly's up here just have a stellar reputation, and I've been impressed with the build threads that I've seen. They do excellent work as well. I'd like a little more wood on the interior, but they could probably do that if I asked for it.

So, if anyone with either wants to give me and the wife a ride sometime, let me know.

I'm also looking at Bay Weld boats out of Homer. They do some good customization work and have a couple boats in the State Troopers fleet, so they can't be too bad.

Before I bought my Thunder Jet Maxim jet boat this spring for Koyukuk hunting we explored heavily into buying a bigger ocean boat instead of having two different boats. All the commincations with Sea Wolf had me very impressed. Their 28 footer has a huge list of standard options and I do remember them quoting me a price of approximately $180K and that included an inboard diesel, heater, cook top, head, shower, dual forward facing seats, etc.

Their 31 footer ran about $50K more but the only way I could of afforded to buy one is to pimp myself out. And doubt that would work even in Alaska
    Tennessee

Coho Slayer,

I have not ridden on a Wooldridge, so I cannot compare the rides. One thing that did catch my eye is the weight. I think marita did an ad a while ago saying that the SS was 7000lbs, including the trailer. I think BCRiverRunner said once his weighted in around 5500lbs for the boat. My Seawolf is 12,000lbs with fuel and no gear, and it is a 31' hull. Part of the weight difference is the amount of freeboard and depth of the hull. All that said, I think Wooldridge is a great company, and I really respect them and the products they produce. I think it would be a good buying experience with them.

One strategy would be to choose the boat you want, and then get it without all the bells and whistles. Yes, a Seawolf is not cheap, but when you add all of the gadets on on another brand, it seems like the prices come out similar. I would think getting a bare bones one to start with may be better than a less capable boat with radar, large screen gps, etc.

I would be glad to take you and others for a ride sometimes. My boat is a compromise in handling like all boats are. I am still regretting not getting onboard with FISHFACE on his Armstrong as well as other friends when we are out together so that we all learn better what the options are before spending the dollars. My problem is time, I am usually racing to get fish or get home and don't take the time to do these things.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Coho Slayer,

I have not ridden on a Wooldridge, so I cannot compare the rides. One thing that did catch my eye is the weight. I think marita did an ad a while ago saying that the SS was 7000lbs, including the trailer. I think BCRiverRunner said once his weighted in around 5500lbs for the boat. My Seawolf is 12,000lbs with fuel and no gear, and it is a 31' hull. Part of the weight difference is the amount of freeboard and depth of the hull. All that said, I think Wooldridge is a great company, and I really respect them and the products they produce. I think it would be a good buying experience with them.

One strategy would be to choose the boat you want, and then get it without all the bells and whistles. Yes, a Seawolf is not cheap, but when you add all of the gadets on on another brand, it seems like the prices come out similar. I would think getting a bare bones one to start with may be better than a less capable boat with radar, large screen gps, etc.

I would be glad to take you and others for a ride sometimes. My boat is a compromise in handling like all boats are. I am still regretting not getting onboard with FISHFACE on his Armstrong as well as other friends when we are out together so that we all learn better what the options are before spending the dollars. My problem is time, I am usually racing to get fish or get home and don't take the time to do these things.
    I sent Wooldridge a message questioning the weight, because that does seem very light for a 29' boat.

We'd love to take a ride...give me a time and place and we'll see what we can do. Seawolf and Wooldridge are about even right now in who I'd like to go with, so I'd love a sea trial on each. Also like to see how fast the Seawolf runs. Where is your boat, or do you move it around?

Currently I am in Seward (C7) but I spend about 1/2 the summer in Cliffiside in Whittier and the other half in Seward. I will be in Seward until sometime in Mid August. As for speed, I get about the same economy from 26-30kts (30-34mph) which is pushing 3mpg. My top end is 37kts, or about 43mph. My redline is around 3550rpm, so if you use Volvo's rule of cruising at 90% power, I could be running an even faster cruise of 33kts or 37mph, but I run a bit less to baby the motor a bit. PM me your contact info, and I will let you know when it works for me. Unfortunately most of my trips are spur of the moment, last minute events.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast