Thread: Fly-in Camping: Any good places?

Default Fly-in Camping: Any good places?

My Dad is flying up from the lower 48 for what may be the last time. I'm planning to take a good part of August off from work so we can do some hiking, backpacking, and camping, in as many good places as possible. But only having recently (a little over a year ago) moved up here myself, I still haven't figured out if there are any really good places that are worth chartering a flight into the deep bush for a few days. I.E., worth it vs. hiking off the road system. We've both done enough backpacking to know what we're doing (enough to really get into trouble ), but looking to do a bit more than the usual.

We're just looking for a nice place to see some rugged country that isn't bare tundra. (I can hunt on my own time, after all.) We'll probably do a little fishing but it's not necessary.

Anyone have any great revelations or good suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help! I'm just hoping to get out and enjoy some good parts of Alaska with my dad, since let's face it, we probably won't get the chance to enjoy them all!

Denali? No doubt others will chime in with other ideas too. In a way, your situation is a little challenging. Little AK experience but small window of opportunity. I think rent a sat phone (I like Surveyor's Exchange) and try a Denali trip. Incredible on the scenery/backcountry scale, yet some kind of support available if you need it. If you go, learn about stream crossings - IMO the most likely threat if water levels are high from recent rains. Not to be underestimated. If you go, call the Park right away. Tell the Rangers what you're planning and consider their tips. I know they'll be happy to help. I'd call several times between now and the trip just to be sure of planning/logistics. Fishing won't be great, but the scenery and wildlife will.
    Good luck to you and your Dad whatever your plans.

Ah- I seem to have missed a couple words there. I meant to say, "we've done enough backpacking/hiking UP HERE," as in last year, to get at least familiar with some of the Alaska peculiars- including some stream crossings in Denali NP, which, yes, is... different! Elsewhere we've done quite a bit more, albeit mostly in the East.

Thanks for the tip about asking Rangers. I actually hadn't thought of it, but I guess I could call around and see if any of them have some advice.

Has anyone done Wrangell-St.Elias park this way? That's one place I thought it might be worthwhile to get away from the access roads. That, or someplace in the Lake Clark area. I understand it gets pretty barren down towards Iliamna, at least by report of a buddy who hunts down there. Those are the only leads I've gotten so far.

Wrangle-St. Elias would be a great place for hiking/camping. Paul Clause at Ultima Thule Lodge will fly you anywhere you want to go, and treat you like kings, albeit for a price. I've never used him, but have always heard good reports.

DSCF8690 Desktop Resolution (2).jpgIf you are considering Wrangell St. Elias you may not need to fly out. Access the park from the Nabesna Road, I have spent a great deal of time in this area and its the exact opposite of Denali NP, very quiet with no crowds. Numerous great hikes like Trail Creek Lost Creek loop and Skookum Volcano just to name a few or just head into the mountains off trail. Also carry a little fishing pole as there is some nice greyling fishing. If you access the parks website you will find numerous back country cabins with most being fly-out trips, may be a place to start. Personally the Caribou Creek cabin that is accessible from the road with an easy 3 mile hike is great. I usually tent camp but a night with a roof and wood stove is nice sometimes. I will attach some pictures to give you an idea of the area. Any other question just ask and enjoy the trip with you father, there is nothing else like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks! I think at this point, having looked into it a bit more, we will try Wrangell by the north. No point in flying if there's good seclusion to be had a few miles off the track. I'll have to try to get some photos like those, chapman!