Thread: New rifle sight-in report.

Default New rifle sight-in report.

I guess I'm a bit of a procrastinator. I've had my Marlin XL7 30-06 for about two months now. I'd have had much more time to work up accurate loads if I had taken it out sooner than the day before a hunt, but at least I had the fore-sight to work up multiple loads. I'm going out after black bear tomorrow, and today I pulled the trigger for the first time on the new Marlin. I have to say I have mixed feelings. This Marlin seems MUCH more picky about ammo than the XS7 .243 I recently sold.

I fired loads using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions, and 150 Gr. Hornady GMX bullets with Varget, H 4831, IMR 4350, and RL 19. The best 100 yard group was with 180 gr. Nos. Parts. using a near-max load of RL 19. Three shot group was just under an inch. That's the load I'll be using tomorrow.

I guess for the first time out with a budget rifle I can't complain too much. I used the same Redfield 3-9X40 accu-range optic that was mounted on the .243. Here's hoping a black bear gets in the way of my bullet tomorrow!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

As you already knew, and as you just proved, all rifles are different. You may have to fine tune the rifle itself through bedding, free floating, etc.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Good Luck and don't forget to post some pics.

Well as it turns out, a black bear (a small one) did place itself in front of my bullet. It was my first, and I'm pretty excited. More details in this thread.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

was it rubbed out this time of year? It seems a little late for a good rug.

Only one dime-sized rub on a paw. Other than that, a pristine pelt. I was after the meat first though, so the fur is a bonus. I can't afford a rug, so I'm just planning to tan it and hang it on a wall.