Thread: Need some info quickly

Default Need some info quickly

Well I tried my luck the past few weekends fishing for Kings at Sheep creek mostly and hooked into a good amount of fish but didn't take any home because most of the ones I landed that werent snagged were females or small males early in the morning.

I'm here till July 14th and want to keep fishing. I'm staying on Prator lake in Houston but will drive about an hour. Are my chances to catch kings mostly done? I'm considering making my way up to Talkeetna since I believe they are still open to king fishing. Is the red run starting soon? can i catch them along the parks?

I was also thinking about going to little willow for some 'bows.

Basically my question is what else can i still fish for around here.

Welcome to the annual annoying part of the mat-su salmon season. Too late for kings.... To early for silvers... As you've figured out the red fishing in the mat-su valley is... Let's call it "challenging". Most schedule vacation time and go down to the Kenai for dipnetting or look for saltwater fishing. For the rest of us trout fishing on the streams and lakes is a nice diversion. Pick any lake of any stream and the fishing will be as good as anything in the lower 48. Personally I'm going to try a new spot this weekend if I can break away from the to-do list that's building up.

For salmon hit up the Kenai for reds; that will be your best bet. Its a great drive, definitely worth the gas. Clear Creek in Talkeetna has some kings, but fishing has been very tough, and there aren't a lot there. Ship Creek in Anchorage is doing ok for kings, too.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    For salmon hit up the Kenai for reds; that will be your best bet. Its a great drive, definitely worth the gas. Clear Creek in Talkeetna has some kings, but fishing has been very tough, and there aren't a lot there. Ship Creek in Anchorage is doing ok for kings, too.
    Ship is toast for now. Been down there twice this week and no one is catching. Gotta wait for the silvers. If youre already up north may wanna try talkeetna.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Sounds like your on a meat mission for Salmon Reds and Kings. You might consider changing to Chums for the basic fact they are fun and you should be in there for the run just about any place on the Parks that has them. Any river that has Kings should have Bows just chase the egg drop and bounce beads, flesh, and or glo bugs and you should find bows. Remeber C&R on most streams till you hit the Chulitna and then there are harvest restrictions as well as size retention limits. If you don't mind the local scene look just south of Palmer for additional salmon fishing "check the regs"

Have Fun Tight Lines

USAF Retired

GO Lions !!!!! Sorry low hanging fruit. :-)