Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use this service?

Default Anyone ever use this service?

http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com/

I
    've been wanting to take one of these boats out for a while now; its a matter of finding the time. Has anyone used this service before? Review?

Thanx.
    Ed.

I don't recall exactly what year, I think it was 2005 I rented one of their boats. Back then they had some open skiffs as well as the cabin cruisers. The skiff I rented worked great, and I've come across others in the sound in past years that have rented their boats larger boats.

If you're thinking you'll rent one of their boats, save a bundle over booking an entire six pack, and still manage to limit out on fish in a day, the reality will likely be a good education that finding fish in the sound is tougher than it looks. But, if you're intent is to get out on the sound, see if boating is for you, and essentially test run a boat you'd be interested in buying, it wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I'd give them a thumbs up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanx Paul, that's some good information.

My wife and I will be retiring in about 8 to 10 years and we're considering a coastal craft as our retirement toy. We have boating experience in lakes and rivers with our own 18 footer, however, we've only gone out into PWS in a charter or with friends; we'd like to get some experience before we commit ourselves to a lot of money. And, the fishing is a bonus.

We're thinking of driving down there for a weekend and talking with the guy and "checking him out."

thanx.
    Ed.

I've heard nothing but good about the boats, maintenance, cleanliness, etc. I can't speak to the business practices of who runs it, but I've only heard positive things. They'll give you some fishing spot suggestions, too.

They've got a nice new Kingfisher this year...I wouldn't mind taking that out for a day to give it a test run, since they are on my short list of boats I'd like to get. Unfortunately, my list is mainly based on what I've seen at boat shows, sitting in harbors, and on paper. That'd be a good way to try one of them out.

I met one of the owners of the company on the dock last Saturday night. I was having motor problems and he spent about 30 minutes trying to help and talking about our boats. Seemed like a very nice guy and actually told me to call him if there was anything he could help me with.

I looked at his Kingfisher the next day when I was walking my dog. It was clean and in good shape. Everything looked well maintained and the boat was outfitted nicely. The boat is a bit beat up (dents and scratches) but what do you expect from a rental boat with guys who have no boat experience trying to dock it in Whittier.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default coho slayer, jr2

Thanx guys for the posts - very helpful. I've talked on the phone with them and yes, I agree, they were very informative and helpful.

The Kingfisher is a really nice boat and its right in the class/style my wife and i have been looking at. We've been going to boat shows and the sportsman's show regularly for a few years now. We've been making notes on what features we want on ours when we get ready to buy. I had a lengthy discussion with Mr. Bolton (don't remember his first name) last year (2010) - that's another brand we're looking at. He was very helpful and offered a tour of his facilities in Oregon if we every wanted one. We've also been looking at the Wooldridge SS Pilothouse. All of these boats have nice features that we want; just need to combine them into one.

We've tentatively scheduled a trip down to Whittier in a couple of weeks - one, because we haven't been there in about 10 years and two, to stop in and talk to these folks; try to line something up for next year.

Thanx.
    Ed.

They are good to work with. I have only rented a couple times from them (three) and each time there was a little piece of something or other that didn't work right due to abuse. One was a rod holder that the little tit was broken on (I used it anyway and lost a sweet custom hand built jigging rod when something big pulled it in)....and the other was a sonar that didn't work correct. All pretty minor things.

They are prompt and get you on the water fast. The boats are a great way to see PWS if you have friends visiting and want to show them the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBennett001 View Post
    Thanx guys for the posts - very helpful. I've talked on the phone with them and yes, I agree, they were very informative and helpful.

The Kingfisher is a really nice boat and its right in the class/style my wife and i have been looking at. We've been going to boat shows and the sportsman's show regularly for a few years now. We've been making notes on what features we want on ours when we get ready to buy. I had a lengthy discussion with Mr. Bolton (don't remember his first name) last year (2010) - that's another brand we're looking at. He was very helpful and offered a tour of his facilities in Oregon if we every wanted one. We've also been looking at the Wooldridge SS Pilothouse. All of these boats have nice features that we want; just need to combine them into one.

We've tentatively scheduled a trip down to Whittier in a couple of weeks - one, because we haven't been there in about 10 years and two, to stop in and talk to these folks; try to line something up for next year.

Thanx.
    Ed.
    I'm also looking at the Wooldridge SS Pilothouse. I really like them, and they will pretty much completely customize it for you. Kingfisher's I think you're stuck with one of three packages.

I will be in Whittier on the 21st-22nd and will probably overnight in the Harbor if I can at least one of those nights... if you are around feel free to come take a look at my Kingfisher... or hail me on the VHF.. boat name is Stor Fisk and maybe we can meet up if you want to take a look. I know the rental guy told there Kingfisher was getting 1.5 mpg max and most people could not get it much over 1. He said it was hard to rent it with that fuel mileage... mine is 2 ft shorter and can get 2.2 mpg..

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    mine is 2 ft shorter and can get 2.2 mpg..
    Hi JR2,
    Is yours 2825? and you are getting 2.2 MPG? Can you tell me what props you are using. I'm getting 2.0 to 2.1 with my current setup.
    Thanks

That is great -- - I am planning to rent their kingfisher in August...there will be 8 of us and we will have a couple small tents to shore camp 4 people. We will be heavy going out, maybe not so much coming back in unless I can find some fish - hoping to head to montague probably overnight in Icy or near. At 1mpg including two stops at the shrimp pots, and one at Perry - the boat doesn't have the legs to get to montague and back.......I will take a couple polys - but that doesn't make it any lighter or cheaper....

Bullelkklr - You might also want to ask him if 8 people is okay. I think he told me the max they let out on the big Kingfisher is 7. I have had 4 adults,2 kids and a big dog on my boat and it was tight, 8 adults would be tough.

Letsfish - Mine is the 2825 and I would bet I have exactly the same props as yours (mine are 3x14.5x15 stainless)... the secret is to trim the boat out perfectly. I run my motors tipped up quite a bit. I just play with it constantly... Its amazing how much difference an inch or two in either direction can make. Typically I have 3-5 bars showing on the motor tilt display on the gauges. With my set up only one motor is hooked up to show mpg so I just trim the other motor the exact same way. This winter I am going to look into hooking the other motor up to the gauge or hooking up a flow scan to the man fuel line.

I just tried the website - http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com/ - and got the google - page be can't found - page. Anyone know anything about this? He has gone out of business I hope.

Thanx.
    Ed.

I just checked it and it worked just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I just checked it and it worked just fine for me.
    Cached page in your browser or something. It's not up ATM(

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    Cached page in your browser or something. It's not up ATM(
    Ahh...good call. You're right.

Default Phone and email info

I was able to pull the phone and email info off the page I have cached. That may help out until their website is back up. I was just on it a few days ago, so I don't think they've gone out of business or anything.

email: whittierbr@gmail.com - Call: 1-907-232-2783

Default Thanx for the number

Thanx for the phone number. A friend of mine from indiana is thinking about making a trip up next year and thought this might be something he'd like to do. I too was on their page just this past week - Wednesday or Thursday - and went back today and got a page can't be found. Thanx for the responses - i'll call'm tomorrow.

Thanx.
    Ed.

I'd want to know whether you are renting the boat with any insurance coverage. What's your liability if you were to wreck the boat? Worse case scenario being the boat sank. Who would pay for the loss of the boat, salvage, etc.?

Default bobber

That's a great question; one that I had not thought of. When I do make contact, I'll ask that very question.

Ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast