Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway Caribou in August?

Default Denali Highway Caribou in August?

I'll be hunting moose September 1 with my hunting partner, but am considering going early (August 10) to fill my caribou tag and bring along the family (plus a new friend who just moved here from Georgia). Are the caribou moving through the Tangle lakes/Maclaren area by then or would it not be worth my time? I see them like crazy in September, but are they there early in August?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

There most always seem to be some 'local' animals in these areas. However there are times that there is just 'no caribou' around. Last year we saw some crossing the road system and they would have been easy to take. If you are also looking for blueberries, go a little later then 10 Aug. The best advise is to find a place where you and sit a spot and take your time. We have sat and looked over an area without seeing any animals. Then all of a sudden they would start showing up in the brush.
    Good luck.

The blueberry picking is still rather good, even in early August. The Denali is home to some of the finest blueberry picking around.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I have a perfect spot where we glass for moose and always see multiple caribou. There's kind of a natural funnel that they seem to like. Will they be there if I go 3 weeks earlier than usual or do they not show up until later?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Three weeks earlier is a big time difference; if you always see them there in September, there's a chance the movement might not have really started in early August. Every year is different, but you may not see as many animals as you're used to seeing.

Then again, they might move earlier this year - you can never tell with caribou.

In my experience on the Denali you can/will see caribou in any month along the Denali. Sometimes just more during other times, but there are always some around if you do your part.

Hunting the Tangle Lakes/MacClaren area for a big bull Caribou in early August I would think you will have a hard hunt finding one, there will be bands of small bulls or cows in the area. Go back in Caribou history and see where they are feeding around August 1, factor in weather, flies, migration and time of the month and you will know if there a better areas to hunt. One problem history will not tell you is the location and amount of hunters, they could scare any caribou along the road/trails away from you.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I have a perfect spot where we glass for moose and always see multiple caribou. There's kind of a natural funnel that they seem to like. Will they be there if I go 3 weeks earlier than usual or do they not show up until later?
    Get out there and hunt. Thats the best way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    What a novel idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    ARRRGH! I can either go out with a buddy for deer and silvers the weekend before, or take the family out that weekend for bou and berries. Only so much time and money to spread around. If the caribou are there, I would totally rather go with the family, but PWS is tempting.

Taking the family will pay off even if you don't see a bou. I always vote for family.

Been hunting there since 85 and to tell you the truth, the caribou don't tend to hang out there much anymore these days because of the influx of people on that highway. Before they paved the majority of it, it was good hunting because nobody wanted to drive it...but now, unless you are up for a serious hike up onto the ridges and packing your bou back out by hand, then I wouldn't count on seeing them all over the place. Our last one was a three mile hump from where we shot it, back to the highway in the snow. Not something you'd take the family out to do. You could take a four wheeler but it's slow going with all the holes. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Quote Originally Posted by AKLISA99737 View Post
    Been hunting there since 85 and to tell you the truth, the caribou don't tend to hang out there much anymore these days because of the influx of people on that highway. Before they paved the majority of it, it was good hunting because nobody wanted to drive it...but now, unless you are up for a serious hike up onto the ridges and packing your bou back out by hand, then I wouldn't count on seeing them all over the place. Our last one was a three mile hump from where we shot it, back to the highway in the snow. Not something you'd take the family out to do. You could take a four wheeler but it's slow going with all the holes. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
    Respectfully, and totally disagree with this post. The Denali Hwy is 135 miles long and only 22 miles of it is paved, that's hardly a majority. Like was mentioned below, caribou can be found along the Denali hwy pretty much year round. I love the Denali Hwy from August to October and would pick the Denali over PWS.

I will be up on the haul road from August 25th-31st. If anyone wants to stop by and talk, I am always willing to meet new people and hang out. Send me a PM to find out what I'll be driving and what not. I have only been up there once, but it was the same time and we saw thousands of bou. I am looking for meat, and not trophies. Thats not to say I wont shoot a big 'ol boy if he presents me a shoot. I am looking forward to hunting, and hanging out. We are gonna hunt hard and hopefully we get our limit of 5 bou. So if u want to hang out, just send me a PM.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

2400 quota this year according to f&g hotline.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I will be up on the haul road from August 25th-31st. If anyone wants to stop by and talk, I am always willing to meet new people and hang out. Send me a PM to find out what I'll be driving and what not. I have only been up there once, but it was the same time and we saw thousands of bou. I am looking for meat, and not trophies. Thats not to say I wont shoot a big 'ol boy if he presents me a shoot. I am looking forward to hunting, and hanging out. We are gonna hunt hard and hopefully we get our limit of 5 bou. So if u want to hang out, just send me a PM.
    You are talking about the Dalton highway. This thread is about the Denali highway. Simple mistake. No big deal. Just FYI.

lol four roads in AK and we can't keep them straight!! i love it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm at Tangle Lakes right now and I've been riding the blm trails from mile 16-30 and haven't seen a caribou yet, just ptarmigan. Don't know what to expect in a week-and-a-half though.

Tim

just returned from the Denali Hwy. drove from Cantwell to mile 76 and saw no bou.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    You are talking about the Dalton highway. This thread is about the Denali highway. Simple mistake. No big deal. Just FYI.
    Oops, in that case, I will be down there in Sept. for moose hunting. My bad,
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast