Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food.

Default Dog food.

Just curious to see what food people are feeding their furry friends.

We feed Nutro Lamb Meal and Rice. Found it while searching for something that wouldn't cause so much gas. It's pretty much cut that problem entirely and the Yorkie won't eat his foo-foo kibble anymore as he prefers the Nutro as well. The baby also gets into it once in a while and she has never complained.
    Go Big Red!

Purina performance lamb and rice. The label says 3 cups a day for a dog her weight, but that makes her fat, so she gets 1.5 cups a day and is nice and trim with lots of energy. The plus side for me is that there is less mess to pick up in the yard and kennel, and one bag lasts a very long time.

lamb and rice.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Eukanuba lamb &rice for my miscreants!

I forgot to say what I was using! Right now I'm using Diamond Naturals Lamb meal and Rice. I'm thinking about switching to chicken and rice, because it has a little higher protein/fat/calories in the formula. We'll see how well Pax performs on the lamb/rice. He looks great on the food so far, and his stools are good, but he is a little gassy. He really seems to like the food as well. Seems that everyone here prefers Lamb/rice combo so far! Anyone use any kind of supplement or energy foods/drinks during the hunting season?

We went to Native. Our female chessie had that oily smelly thing happening, she does not have that issue with Native food.

3 labs, the two adults get Exceed Performance Formula Chicken and Rice and the 12 week old gets Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. I add some fish oil from Alaska Mill and the same gluecosomine pills that I take.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Eukanuba lamb &rice for my miscreants!
    +1

Wow lamb and rice is popular!

Supplements? Well, periodically I'll put some commercial salmon oil on their food. I feed each dog one cup in the morning, and another in the evening. After a tough day of hunting, and always within 30 minutes of ending the hunt I mix some Maltodextrin in with a bowl of fresh water so they will be ready to go again the next day. I'll feed a bit more during the busiest hunting months.

Another interesting thing to discuss.......Ifeed one time a day. Looks like Jim feeds twice. What is everyone else doing?

I feed both my pups twice a day -- I recently switched to Native; Tucker, my older lab will eat just about anything but I put him on the 24-14 lamb-rice-oats formula as corn/wheat play hell on his allergies. I just moved Max to the 30-20 chicken-rice-oats since I have him so active as of late.
    I like the idea of the salmon oil additive as well - and have read a bit about it. Where do you get your supply from, Jim?

Regards.

Hello all.
    I feed my little English Setter pup (6 months) twice a day. 1.5 cups per meal. I always mix in fresh water with the food to reinforce proper hydration and digestability. My brand right now is called "Taste of the Wild". I like it mainly because it does not contain all of the fillers that many dog foods are heavy with...especially corn.

Jason

Default Feeding schedule

Our dogs are on open feed. We thankfully have two of the few that only eat when they need it (wish their owner could figure that out!) Never supplemented but it might be a consideration as this fall will be our first full field season in The Last Frontier.
    Go Big Red!

I get the salmon oil and the maltodextrin from Cold Spot feeds here in Fairbanks. I also occasionally buy a big bag of the salmon treats for the dogs as well. To keep their teeth clean and give them something to do I often times put a large (boiled to the white) cow femur bone in their crate. These are the only bones I'll ever give to my dogs. These are also available at Cold Spot Feeds.

Jim

I feed both of my labs teh Royal Canin Labrador Retriever food. Keeps there coat nice and shiny! It has gluecoseimine in it as well for the joints.

I feed my dogs pro plan performance during the hunting season and feed them twice a day. I'll also give them some extra food before and after a long hunt. I've never given them maltodextrin but I'm gonna take a page out of Jim's book and give it a try this fall.

Richie

I feed 2 field bred English Springer Spaniels twice a day (1 cup per in a.m, 1 cup in p.m.). Feed Orijen mixed with EVO Fish&Herring. Never ending energy, but that's probably because of the breed!

Pretty good information on feeding. I see mention of the Maltodextrin Jim spoke about!

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf

Hoyt,I learned of Maltodextrin from Arleigh Reynolds. You know, of course, that he's your neighbor, don't you?Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast