Thread: Caribou along the Koyukuk?

Default Caribou along the Koyukuk?

I've read a bunch about the moose hunting there, but should a guy consider caribou as well while on that trip? Any information would sure be appreciated.

You have to go way up the Kateel(beyond Box Canyon)or the Upper Huslia River where you might get some outliers of the WAC. There are supposed to be some caribou up the Dulbi River but they would be pretty unusual to see. You might see some on the far upper end.

There are blackbears. They are the incidental animals that are more commonly taken.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I hunted up the Husslia last year. I was told there were only caribou in the area late in the winter. We saw no caribou but did find several sheds so they were certainly there in the late winter.

I hunted all the way up to the Dulbi river and then sume and have not seen a caribou yet. I have asked about it and have alway been told no not in the area. That is not to say they are not in there in the winter but i have not seen sheds either. I will let you know this fall, i will be in there mid Sept.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

We were getting some gas at Ruby last sept. and the lady at the fuel place said that a few days earlier some local guys were coming up the Yukon below Ruby and saw 10-12 Caribou on the river blank, they ended up getting one bou out of the bunch, sounded like they do not see caribou down there too often!.....I'll prolly bring a bou tag this year tho....just in case!

Thanks for the input. I was guessing that they wouldn't be there in September.

hello,if they shot caribou there it wasnt open,thats the melzoi herd thats there year round but it hasent been open in 7 or 8 years,some big bulls but as i said its not open,maybe 15 years ago 5000 crossed the koyukuk river above the check point in october and it was a easy there for a couple of days some of the wac herd swinging far east then normal,dont bother with a tag,take a few bears if you get a chance,both colors,have found caribou IMG_1100.jpg way up the kateel and also found sheds way up the husila river,,good luck on moose ill also be up there,got this bull off the melzoi river years ago,craig

Craig,

Maybe they shot them on the south side of the yukon, regs say its open?....Is it open up the Kateel?...maybe I'm reading the regs wrong?...We have moose tags for the KateeL too...

Dave

Craig,
    I'm not seeing where it's closed north of the Yukon and west of the Koyukuk. In fact, they are showing a 5 bull seasonal limit. The Kateel appears to be open as well. Am I reading this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by lamdilligaf View Post
    Craig,
    I'm not seeing where it's closed north of the Yukon and west of the Koyukuk. In fact, they are showing a 5 bull seasonal limit. The Kateel appears to be open as well. Am I reading this wrong?
    it is open there,im talking about the post about the guys shooting the one out of ruby,,there have been some on the north bank across and below ruby,,never heard of any on the south bank or even tracks there mt caribou.season has not been open for over 8years.north of the yukon and west of the koyukuk is open,,thats a long ways from ruby,,,in 31 years have seen caribou once on the koyukuk,after moose season as stated in the other post,yes kateel is open but you need to go up at least 120 miles to even think about seeing any that time of year,then its a lucky shoot if the wac herd has came south and east yet,they dont every year not even every other,,have a great trip,,craig

Any bou shot around Ruby are reindeer or part deer.
    Go as far as you can up the Kateel or Gisasa and you MIGHT see a bou or 2 if you climb up on top of the hills. There are always stray bou/deer in the Nulato Hills.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!