Thread: Evinrude 50hp lost spark

Default Evinrude 50hp lost spark

A friend has a 50hp evinrude etec with about 200 miles on it. He took it down to Seward last weekend and put it in the water and it would not start. No spark.

We planned to take it to seward this weekend to fish silvers then the kenai for dippin on the 16th. When he took it to the local Stealer they told him that they can't look at it for 2 WEEKS - in the heat of the summer fishing season. Talk about SERVICE -that is just plain effinrude.

I'll check the safety switch tonight. The motor turns over fine so it is not the inline fuse. I am guessing either the switch or the computer.

Has anyone heard of or had this problem with an evinrude etec 50hp outboard?

The "overboard" switch is the most likely problem. If it isn't pulled far enough out by the insert, it will do exactly what you described. (I imagine that is the safety switch you were referring to).
    Later,
    Jim

He called service management and they said it will be next in line....he tried to engage/disengage the overboard/safety switch multiple times to no avail. Shall see I suppose. We can take my rubber ducky to Seward but it is a no go on the Kenai for dippin....

Don't know if you've tried this yet, but I had the same problem with my 50hp Etec last summer. I screwed around with it for hours & finally gave up. Back at camp later that night, my buddy asked if I had tried disconnecting the battery then connecting it again. I tried it, and sure enough, it fired right up & I haven't had a problem with it since. Not really sure what happened, but my guess is that the computer crashed, and the only way to reboot it was to cut the power. It's worth a shot before you take it to the shop. This is always the first thing the "help desk" tells you to do when your PC crashes at work, and I guess maybe it works for the Etec computers too.

Also, on the safety switch (I'm assuming we're talking about the little plastic clip with the lanyard?), if you read the manual carefully, it says that you don't even need the safety switch to start the outboard. If you have it connected with the engine running and pull it off, the engine will quit, but it will start just fine without it (I've tested it).

It was user error. When he mounted the prop back on (switched from Jet foot) he didn't have the shift cable properly adjusted to hit Neutral. He said he won't do that again. He painted the cables so that he has the correct adjustment next time.......

I will let him know about the safety switch.