Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Inboard motor problem

  1. #1
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default Inboard motor problem

    I have a 95 hewes with a kodiak 350 in it. I live in Fairbanks and it runs great here, however when I take Otto Valdez it won't idle. I have to prime the bowl each time the engine dies. I thought maybe it was just the gas that I bought on the dock but it's happened 2 years in a row now.

    I am thinking something in the carb at this point. I can't imagine that 440 feet in sealevel would make any difference. Also thinking that a partially blocked jet might have something to do with it. Do you guys have any ideas? As stated, it is running great in Fairbanks, just bad in Valdez.

    Ron

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    That small change in elevation is insignificant. Does it run normaly after idle, acceleration, power, response, stumble or misfire, etc.? Carb type, Holley, Rochester, Edelbrock ? Is there a sight glass on the bottom of the fuel filter ?

    First things that come to mind is a slug of water in the fuel tank getting broken up and dispersed while trailering, allowing it to get into the fuel system when it may be "out of the way" otherwise. Also, by some coincidence, the float and needle may be getting stuck in the seat choking off fuel flow, though this would create a problem by any demand placed on the engine. Another would be a weak fuel pump though, once again, should be an issue wherever the boat is located.

    Having to prime the bowl is a symptom of lack of fuel supply/quality at idle; too much water-too little fuel or, too little fuel dueto restriction or pump pressure, cracked/degraded fuel line on the supply side to the pump from the tank/filter allowing air to enter is another consideration.

    Anymore info you can share would be helpful.

  3. #3
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Check your fuel tank vent. Check for hose kinks, remove both ends and blow air thru it. The other thing is check to see if you have one of those stone filters at the carb inlet.

    So does it run once you leave the dock?
    Mechanical or electric fuel pump?
    Water seperator/fuel filter?

    Need to test your fuel pressure at the carb. Also your float maybe sticking. Fuel may be seeping out of the bowl during transport and float sticking closed. If it runs good at home it will run better in Valdez....it's something simple just what

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    I would run a couple of containers of the red Heet through it before I did anything else.
    Tennessee

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valdez, AK
    Posts
    223

    Default

    I live in Valdez and keep my boat in the harbor during the summer. I installed a 'good' fuel/water seperator. If I don't drain the water out every couple of weeks I have problems with idle and the engine over heating. My filter is a racor with a clear bowl were I can look at it whenever I go out.

  6. #6
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I've got an edelbrock carb on it now.

    I'm leaning on the fuel air mixture at this point due to the problem only happening at idle. It runs great as soon as I crack the throttle. I'm still on the same tank of gas so if it was a gas it water problem I should still be having the problems but I am not. I have a fuel water separator which I changed the filter on right before the trip so it should be good as well.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Even with a brand new fuel filter a slug of water in the tank could plug it up on the first go. As for fuel ratio, I would not touch it, if everything else is as it should be you would only create a larger problem. Also, off idle the engine is much more able to digest water in the fuel without your notice but can suffer greatly while at idle. Other problems water can create is oxidation in the bowl of the carb, idle jets are very small and a piece of oxidation may have plugged one of the idle passages, the primary and secondary passages are much larger, therefor, more difficult to plug.

    I suggest pulling the fuel filter and emptying it into a container, then check for water content. It does not take much water to render a fuel filter ineffective. This would be the fastest and easiest thing to elimnate or condemn based on what comes out of the filter.

  8. #8
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I've got an edelbrock carb on it now.

    I'm leaning on the fuel air mixture at this point due to the problem only happening at idle. It runs great as soon as I crack the throttle. I'm still on the same tank of gas so if it was a gas it water problem I should still be having the problems but I am not. I have a fuel water separator which I changed the filter on right before the trip so it should be good as well.
    Ok so new carb.....and a good choice by the way. Yes you may need to tune that carb some to get it to balance out. Did you get the calibration kit for the carb. If not buy one. You will be amazed at the difference a few adjustments will make. Also if you think you may have got any grit in the carb open it up and clean it out. The idle circuit can be a little presnickity, but will not find a simpler design to work with.

    When I was working on boats full time that is the carb I had customers buy over any Holley. A way safer system to work on out on the water if needed. Tuneable without dumping fuel everywhere. Easy to prime if necessary, as you have found out. Even if for some weird reason you pass water to the carb it is very visiable and easily removeable when needed.

  9. #9

    Default

    I had very similiar symptoms a few years back and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump .. the older 460's have the mechanical fuel pump ... take a look at that.

  10. #10
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Even with a brand new fuel filter a slug of water in the tank could plug it up on the first go. As for fuel ratio, I would not touch it, if everything else is as it should be you would only create a larger problem. Also, off idle the engine is much more able to digest water in the fuel without your notice but can suffer greatly while at idle. Other problems water can create is oxidation in the bowl of the carb, idle jets are very small and a piece of oxidation may have plugged one of the idle passages, the primary and secondary passages are much larger, therefor, more difficult to plug.
    I suggest pulling the fuel filter and emptying it into a container, then check for water content. It does not take much water to render a fuel filter ineffective. This would be the fastest and easiest thing to elimnate or condemn based on what comes out of the filter.
    If water were the case wouldnt I still have the problem? It was running like crap when I put the boat on the trailer in Valdez. It now runs fine back in Fairbanks and the only thing that has changed is location. Im going to pull it anyway just to see what I got, but it just isnt making much sense to me that water could be my problem.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    If water were the case wouldnt I still have the problem? It was running like crap when I put the boat on the trailer in Valdez. It now runs fine back in Fairbanks and the only thing that has changed is location. Im going to pull it anyway just to see what I got, but it just isnt making much sense to me that water could be my problem.
    Too be honest, it makes more sense than where the boat is actualy located, the boat has no awareness . The elevation difference is too little to cause the problem.

    Was the fuel tank partialy full for a period of time during cool wet weather prior to going to Valdez ? Evening T-storms, cool nights. Fuel up from a nontypical supply ? Gas cans with open vents for some time ?It does not take much water to create an issue and during the time spent running on the salt you may have worked your way through the water in the fuel supply. Now that it is back home and the issue is gone may merely be coincidence of timimg , or something completely different, remember I only have the info from your OP.

    What you describe points to a fuel supply/quality issue in every way.

    Correct me if I am wrong in this hypothetical; Run boat in Fairbanks area, park it for however long(fuel tank not topped of after use), take boat to Valdez (refilled tank in Valdez or Fairbanks area(?)), launch and run boat in Valdez and discover idle issue, continue to work through/around idle issue and make best of time in Valdez becuase the boat ran "fine" otherwise. Tow boat home, refill tank ?, run it again in attempt to pin down issue. Issue apparently gone.

    Let em know how that sounds.

  12. #12
    Member Grayling Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    728

    Default

    "I have a fuel water separator which I changed the filter on right before the trip so it should be good as well."

    Air trapped in the fuel lines maybe?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

  13. #13

    Default

    This is no help, but my 351w runs great up here in Fbx, it won't stay idling in Valdez. Up here it puts along at 700 rmp, down there, it dies. Not one trip, but every trip. Baffles the hell out of me and makes me look like a helmet wearing retard when trying to load/unload at the ramp when it dies every time you throttle back to shift forward/reverse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    "I have a fuel water separator which I changed the filter on right before the trip so it should be good as well."

    Air trapped in the fuel lines maybe?

  14. #14

    Default

    Turn idle screw in Valdez maybe?


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easthillsfbx View Post
    This is no help, but my 351w runs great up here in Fbx, it won't stay idling in Valdez. Up here it puts along at 700 rmp, down there, it dies. Not one trip, but every trip. Baffles the hell out of me and makes me look like a helmet wearing retard when trying to load/unload at the ramp when it dies every time you throttle back to shift forward/reverse.
    Do you ever drive long distances and launch at places other than Valdez? I am taking a wild guess and thinking you have a kinked vent line in your fuel system somewhere. Just for the heck of it try removing the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the fuel system before launching.
    Tennessee

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Do you ever drive long distances and launch at places other than Valdez? I am taking a wild guess and thinking you have a kinked vent line in your fuel system somewhere. Just for the heck of it try removing the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the fuel system before launching.
    Will have to give that a try. Valdez is my only out of Fbx trip that I make.

  17. #17
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I know what you mean with the helmut thing. I almost hit 2 boats while trying to get into my slip and another when i was taking out cause the engine kept dying.

    I'll check the vent too, but I did get some spill at the vent when I topped off the tank at the dock. I didn't try opening the cap when it was acting up though, I'll have to remember that one.

    I bought a bottle of heet to run through it, it can't hurt anything... To answer the earlier question. I filled up in Fairbanks so it was Fairbanks gas as well as Valdez gas when I was having problems. I hauled the boat down with a full tank when I hears the price of gas down there. It didn't matter if it was a full or half tank, it was doing it all the time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •