Thread: Fly Suggestions!

Default Fly Suggestions!

Hey all

I am new to the board, and I am taking my first trip to Alaska This 7/22- 7/30. We are going to starting North in the interior by Montanna creek and working our way south. We are going to be fly fishing primarily. I am used to fishing midwest steelhead and salmon, and plan on bringing eggsucking leeches, some bunny strip flies, and lots of egg patterns, is there anything else I should pack for grayling, dollies and Rainbows? Any advice would be a huge help,
    Thanks
    Tom

Tom,

You sound pretty well prepared. The Dolly Varden and rainbows will take the same flies you mentioned. When it comes to grayling...well, they are made for dry flies. I prefer to use elk hair caddis, or perhaps a Adams or mosquito in size 14 or 16. If you prefer to fish wet for grayling you can't beat a Hare's ear or something similar.

Have fun!

Jim

Default Wet flies

Do grayling take streamer patterns? Or do they prefer smaller offerings as it appears. I have thousands of nymphs and dry flies so I will bring those, but small streamers and minnow patters are they worth carrying along?

Thanks again
    I will have to start tying hare ears this evening

Bead head, olive wollybugger works great!

Bring some dries! Anything that looks like a fly and floats will kill the grayling!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Grayling will most certainly take streamers! Arctic grayling, like other Alaska fish, are opportunistic feeders. Short season between ice-out and ice-in, and they tend to often throw caution to the wind and strike eagerly at most types of food presented properly. This is even more the case as autumn nears and the salmon lay dead all over the streams. Back to your streamer question...think of all the fry in the rivers. You'll see them while fishing. Streamers work well; as evidenced by the sale of Mepps spinners in Alaska!Jim

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Bead head, olive wollybugger works great!
    That fly in olive is my best grayling fly. Fished middle water column on a swing. Mostly fished for them in NW Alaska where grayling get big, but they hit much bigger flies than I would have thought. Often hitting #2 mic Finns, battle creeks, and polar shrimp aimed at big dollies.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I still like the dries..
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Flies for

Hey all
    Thanks for the info and responses.
    I will crank out some olive wooly buggers tonight so I have them on hand. last night I tied up about 30 or so varied articulated patterns. I tied black and purple, bunny strip egg sucking leeches in size 6, on a up turned diiachi salmon hook, is that about the right size? I also tied a pattern out of material I tie musky flies with, it is a purple bunny strip, similar in appearance to the articulatted leeches, but has two steel eyes on it.

I am also going to tie some nymphs, I was going to bring size 8, and 10 princes in bead and without, pheasant tails, and some hair ears. I have a variety of drires so I am covered there. Do you guys think I should tie some brighter colored articulates and streamers? I have bunny strips, in pink, Chratruce, orange, yellow and a variety of hot pinks and barred colors.

Last thing, I am starting my trip north on the Parks HWY at Montanna Creek, any river in particular you all feel would be my best shot to catch my first grayling on?
    Thanks again

If you came to Alaska to fly and brought only one fly you mentioned...egg sucking leech.... you would not be disappointed in the numbers of fish you caught. As for grayling they can be frustratingly finicky to downright voracious toward anything thrown at them, the two most successful days a of grayling fishing I had was using a Royal Coachman dry after I had gone through my entire selection and had nothing but refusals, the other time was using a purple Egg Sucking Leech- the grayling were inhaling the leech. I think your choices are excellent but I would add some nymphs and dries for variety and a change of pace.