Thread: Streamers

Default Streamers

Am headed to Bass Pro Tomorrow to get material.

I am pretty much OK on what to tie for Salmon, but we will also be fishing smaller rivers and the Upper Russian for Rainbows and Grayling, middle of July.

I am a lousy nymph fisherman, though I will try, but I like stripping streamers.

Can I just get a couple that would be good in Alaska, materials and size.
    As always any help is appreciated.

Hate to say it but if your fishing waters with salmon runs for bows egg and flesh flies are the only way to go. A close secound would be a egg sucking leach(Dont leave home without one ) As for steamres I've caught fish on green butt skunks , bluenosed dance, muddler minows you get the idea. Grayling like salmon pruoducts too but are much more tunned into bugs than are trout, a hairs ear or any small bead headed nymph can be verey effective. Dont ignore surface flies for grayling a elk hair cadis or a stimulator can be verey effective for grayling even when there is little or no hatch going on. These guys are not picky as long as your presentation looks buggy they'll be intorested.

With all due respect to the last post, I completely disagree.... well, not completely, because there are some times when only an egg or flesh will work, but mid july is most certainly not that time. many fly fishermen get so obsessed with eggs and flesh that they miss out on a lot of nice trout, especially in the russian. also remember that everyone and their dog are throwing beads and/or bunny flesh patterns, so a change of pace is often exactly what the doctor ordered. i throw a possie bugger (dead drifted) during mid july and the trout usually go crazy for it. if you don't know what it is just google it. all the standard nymph patterns work as well (p-tail, hare's ear, prince, etc) so don't neglect them. just don't try and go too small (#10-12) and get it to the bottom. bring some big stimulators and mice as well just in case the fish happen to be looking up. i've tried stripping baitfish streamers, but it just isn't nearly as effective. early spring time is a better bet for that game.
    Mark W

Default Russian and Russian

Both Rivers have prolific hatches of Caddis and Stone Flies as well as Sculpins. Fishing a dropper works well on the Russian if you are attempting to fish nymphs run a Prince size 12/14 below a nice fat size 10 Wulff or Stimulator. Notice the word Prolific hatches they do happen even in Alaska.

Dead Drift / Dead Drift / Dead Drift - size 2 / 4 Sculpins olives and tans, and off course everyone favorite fly the PESL.

I can't help my-self Flesh and egg, Flesh and egg! Sorry lost control.

Default dropper

i'm no gonna say i've never done it, but i wouldn't advise anyone to use a dropper on the russian - due to the fact that it's a single hook - single fly regulated stream. if you're gonna do it, be careful because a ranger would be more than happy to give you a nice expensive ticket for doing so. good advice for catching lots of fish - bad advice if you want to fish within the regs. just thought i'd let ya know.
    Mark W

no grayling in the russian, or at least very few strays from cresent lake. In that time frame a steamer could work I much prefer nymph fishing but I dont see why streamers wouldn't work. Fish sculpin patterns deep (like you would a nymph) also try smolt patterns and of course purple esls no flash! I like prince nymphs and PT nymphs the best.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Dropper Russian

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    i'm no gonna say i've never done it, but i wouldn't advise anyone to use a dropper on the russian - due to the fact that it's a single hook - single fly regulated stream. if you're gonna do it, be careful because a ranger would be more than happy to give you a nice expensive ticket for doing so. good advice for catching lots of fish - bad advice if you want to fish within the regs. just thought i'd let ya know.
    Mark W
    Great point I should have been more direct in stating as using it as a strike indicator. I snip the hook portion of the fly off just use them as a strike indicator. I suppose I should have stated that up front and my bad for passing on information that woul dhave caused issues with the law. Good catch. I suppose I should have stuck with a basic strik indicator verses the utilization of a fly. Just because I enjoy it does not make it good advise.

Guys I did name several streamers that have been productive for me. Gess I should have been clearer sorry.

Rick P

Good luck, man!

Default 2 paws i sent you a pm

Check your private messages i sent you one regarding your trip.
    Bushwaker

Default egg suckers # 1 in my book

I catch some real dandys on the russian and the kenai with egg sucking leeches with a coral or pink head. i landed a beautiful 26 incher on the kenai near some rapids 1st day of august one year and a 22 incher followed immediately after. not to mention the numerous trout caught on montana creek at that time. definately dont leave home without a couple dozen. i also tie a nuke egg for the head of the leech...Dynamite!!