Thread: Simms to offer felt in 2012!!!

Talking Simms to offer felt in 2012!!!

Just in - read it here:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...imms-back-felt

All about choice, and education, they say. A whole lot of nobody uses that rubber in California, and if shortage in the fly shops is any indication, competition from Korkers (who offers felt) sales going through the roof, may have been one more factor. Since there are 47/50 states that still allow felt (and a whole bunch of people who don't take kindly to slipping all over the place), there's still a significant market for it.

Slipping is not a problem at all if you put studs in your boots. I trip now more from my feet sticking to rocks unexpectedly than I ever did before I used them. They're pretty cheap and easy to install and stick to rocks like glue.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Cool Boats

My problem is getting mats for my drift boat that I can wash out easily. No studs in my fiberglass Klaka. My gravel guards and laces are a bigger issue than the felt. Having trouble buying into No Felt

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Slipping is not a problem at all if you put studs in your boots. I trip now more from my feet sticking to rocks unexpectedly than I ever did before I used them. They're pretty cheap and easy to install and stick to rocks like glue.
    Sure it is not a problem if you are fishing from a bank. But what about floaters? I can't put metal studs in the bottom of my simms every time I get out of my boat.

True true. I forgot about that. I had to take mine out when I floated with a buddy a few weeks ago and noticed a difference but the rubber seemed to do ok also. Not as good as felt, but it was not bad.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    My problem is getting mats for my drift boat that I can wash out easily. No studs in my fiberglass Klaka. My gravel guards and laces are a bigger issue than the felt. Having trouble buying into No Felt
    I've been in fiberglass boats with my studs on. No problemo. Not a huge deal. I understand where you're coming from though. Custom cut rubber truck bed mats are great for boats.
    I've also walked all over rafts and cats with my studs.. no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Sure it is not a problem if you are fishing from a bank. But what about floaters? I can't put metal studs in the bottom of my simms every time I get out of my boat.
    See above. And..you're floating. You can survive a little slippage considering the luxury of floating and the peace of mind of potentially protecting a fishery. I know every time I've floated without my studs, I haven't missed them. Shoot, usually when I float I could get away without waders even. Shorts and crocs would do me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    True true. I forgot about that. I had to take mine out when I floated with a buddy a few weeks ago and noticed a difference but the rubber seemed to do ok also. Not as good as felt, but it was not bad.
    The cat's meow is studded felt. Uber Traction. Glued to the bottom!

Personally I've been impressed with the new stream tread soles. And studded, they are just as good as regular felt IMO. And a 1/2 step behind studded felt. Rubber straight up blows felt out of the water for wade fishing. If you hike a lot, and cover some ground and fish some remote stuff. Rubber is where it is at. Stays clean, traction better on land. Etc.