Thread: Used wall tent

Default Used wall tent

I purchased a used wall tent from a Boy scout camp in New Mexico. I got it for $65 and it has no poles and no directions on making poles. It is a 10'x12' green wall tent with a Boy scout logo stamped the door. It is 8ft tall at the ridge and the sides are 4 feet 6". My question is whether to try and make my own poles out of 2x2's and a 2x4 for the ridge pole or go with the pipe internal frames. I would like to save money and do the 2x2 route, but I can't find any good pics on the web to help me figure out how to go about constructing a frame. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

Is it nylon or canvas.......? If it is canvas a 2"X4" ridge pole will not support it when the tent is wet. Assuming there is an opening, I would find a nice standing dead spruce about 5" in dia. and clean the pole of bark. I would NOT use pipe for many reasons. Note: the ridge pole should be several feet longer than the tent.

Default 2x2s

Here's a picture posted by Steve (Sayak) with his 2x2 frame. Don't know what he used for a ridge pole or the dimensions of his tent.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ove-jack/page4
    The pict is from page 4 of the above thread.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

No ridge pole necessary if proper guyed from both gables. However, if I was to use one, I would go for the dead spruce idea, as they are readily available in most places around the state. Anything else would be too heavy.

The tent is nylon and is 10x12.

The tent is canvas. I think when it was used by the Scouts they just draped it over one of their wooden frames built on a wooden platform at the scout camp. I will be setting it up on the ground. Once I have the tent poles figured out then I will work on the stove/heating system. Thanks for all the input.

Kevin