Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing ethics

Default fishing ethics

I was fishing down at a creek this morning and there were two guys that got in a shoving match. I was standing there and watching this thing unfold.

Ok there was a guy that hooked a fish using a method I don't agree with. He allowed his fish to go way down stream and it tangled with a few people down stream. Now should the guy down stream cut his line or should the guy who hooked the fish work his way down stream . Generally I understand that once someone hooks a fish people pull up their lines, but the guy was way down stream was unaware what had happened up stream.

Also what do you say to people who leave their King Salmon laying in the sun while they go back to fishing

A foul hooked fish is extremely if not impossible to control and they almost always bolt downstream. Cutting the line will only leave tackle attached to the fish and will most likely kill it.

People and bears will always growl at each when fishing in tight quarters.

Tangles and such are part of the combat fishing thing and you have to expect it when you throw your line at these type places.

JMHO, worth what you paid for it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Do what you know is right and if the company is not to your liking move on, it ain't worth the hassle.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Right on, Steve! When I hear "Fish-on", I reel in as will most in the combat zone. I thought that was just normal fishing etiquette, maybe that's just me. Define way down stream. When you're fishing with bunches, you deal with all types. The limit is 3 so why the hassle? Life's too short! Heck, I net more fish than I catch just to help those who don't have one or forgot to bring one! Help folks land their fish and get back on the water! Of course that's just me... not that I'm any better than anyone else LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Right on, Steve! When I hear "Fish-on", I reel in as will most in the combat zone. I thought that was just normal fishing etiquette, maybe that's just me. Define way down stream. When you're fishing with bunches, you deal with all types. The limit is 3 so why the hassle? Life's too short! Heck, I net more fish than I catch just to help those who don't have one or forgot to bring one! Help folks land their fish and get back on the water! Of course that's just me... not that I'm any better than anyone else LOL!
    When I use to smoke I had a simple solution for those who did not reel up when I was "COMIN' DOWN" especially when it was a kid battling a fish and I was running the net.

The one's that get me are the ones that you tangle with over and over and over regardless of what you do. I did tangle up with one guy and got sick of untangling the lines, let him do it and he cut my line and did not give my lure back. Next tangle I yanked real hard and pulled his rod out of his hands, brought it in, took it to the shore and planted it in the sand, to a huge applause. Apparently this was a pretty common thing for this guy all day. Not a word was said from across the water. When I left that night the rod was still in the sand.

This whole situation is precisely why you won't find me at the Russian River, or most other combat fishing areas. I used to be ok with it, when people still had a thing called common courtesy. A shout of "fish on!" was the signal for everyone to get their lines out of the water and clear the way for you to land your fish. For a long time, nobody had a problem with this and it was a great informal system.

I'm not sure why anyone says it now, since few people do anything to move and then get mad at you if, God forbid, you take more than 5 seconds to land your fish or it goes into someone else's fishing zone.

Somewhere along the way, people lost the team mentality that used to exist around fishing. We were all there to get our fish, and strangers were happy helping strangers succeed. There are still plenty of folks out there willing to play nice with each other, but it doesn't take many jerks to sour a person on an otherwise fun activity.

Guys that don't pull their lines out are right up there with guys who come to Deep Creek/Ninilchik/Anchor and use the Russian river flip to catch silvers and kings. 5 minutes of the flip ruins a hole for everyone else who is fishing with bait. Just because you can snag a fish in the mouth does not mean you should and if you suck at it snagging 5 of the 7 fish in the hole screws us all... rant over.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I totally disagree with you on that one JR2. There are holes at the Anchor that are made for flippin with flies. I have hooked several kings in the mouth (only in the mouth actually) in that hole and everyone else in that hole flips -

I pull up when a fish is on but a lot don't.....

Anytime I have been it a situation where a foul hooked fish gets beyond someones control and entangles my line (without a warning of "fish on") and I ended up getting the fish and ensnarled lines to my feet, I promptly release the fish by removing the hook and set-to untangling the lines as quickly as possible. Sometimes that involves cutting someone elses line, often I can untangle them quickly.

If anyone wants to argue about releasing the foul hooked fish they will not be arguing with me, I remind them of the regs and go about my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I totally disagree with you on that one JR2. There are holes at the Anchor that are made for flippin with flies. I have hooked several kings in the mouth (only in the mouth actually) in that hole and everyone else in that hole flips -

I pull up when a fish is on but a lot don't.....
    Like I said, some people know how to do it and some don't. The guys I am talking about use big weights and set the hook hard at the end of each "drift". I don't know how many time I have had a hole ruined by flippers who spook all the fish. Just pisses me off when its actually easier to catch them on bait than flipping. If you want to flip, go to the russian and snag some reds, you want to catch silvers or Kings, learn to fish with bait. Its my personal opinion that people ought to get tickets for flipping for fish that will actually strike a bait...but I could be wrong.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If it is your personal opinion then you can't be wrong!

Stid Hit the Nail on the head. I have avoided the Combat fishing for many years. On 26 July at 9PM upon arrival from some awesome fishing and bathtub seas at Seward, my son calls me and says, "Dad the kings are in the Willow and I'm going at 4AM. Can you come with me?" How can one say no to your son that invites you fishing, especially since his days off are few. We hit the river and after 7 hours of fishing, I've had all I can take and need to get some sleep and finish my cleaning the boat and putting away fish chores. I hooked up 3 times, one got off quick, one broke my line and caught one small Jack that I gave away. Meantime, I got hit by two rod tips, got my line crossed 30+ times, saw a few heated arguements. Saw some folks casting over a line with a fish on it that the guy was trying to land which cut his line, and heard a fw explanitives I hadn't heard in a while. That was all I could take. Next time my son invites me to go fishing, I will, but we are taking a boat and getting away from people. I don't know how folks do it, but some thrive on it as I could tell. I also saw two guys catch a king, wait a few hours, move down the line a bit and start fishing again and catch another fish. I challenged one, but he insisted the last king he caught was yesterday. Funny thing, I watched him clean his first King away from the croud and complimented him on a nice fish. Guess he had a short memory.

In the 14 years I've been in the state, I've gone combat fishing once. If I had to fish in fresh water in southcentral, I'd take a canoe out and chase some wild rainbows with nobody in sight. I'll take a 12" rainbow on a pristine lake over a monster king or stringer full or reds on a crowded river any day. The masses of ***es on the rivers take away any and all pleasure I recieve from fishing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

While Ive seen jerks around Ive found them to be few and far between. Im usually pretty talkative and nice to others though so that may be why. It seems that if you chat the people up that are next to you when your in a tight spot they are much more cordial. Its also how you meet people. Ive borrowed nets and what not from others Ive met and had conversations with. Ive also netted several others fish when I was done for the day. I got my self covered in mud about a week ago helping a guy drag up a 30lber. He said thanks. I just reminded him to help me out if he ever saw me struggling to pull one up on the bank and said your welcome then went on with my day.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    While Ive seen jerks around Ive found them to be few and far between. Im usually pretty talkative and nice to others though so that may be why. It seems that if you chat the people up that are next to you when your in a tight spot they are much more cordial. Its also how you meet people. Ive borrowed nets and what not from others Ive met and had conversations with. Ive also netted several others fish when I was done for the day. I got my self covered in mud about a week ago helping a guy drag up a 30lber. He said thanks. I just reminded him to help me out if he ever saw me struggling to pull one up on the bank and said your welcome then went on with my day.
    Yup. Treat others like you want to be treated.

Some folks just take fishing too serious, but I won't let that keep me away from places full of fish like the Russian. I agree with one of the previous posters that being friendly and talkative to the folks around me almost always results in new fishing pals. If your going to go to the crowded places than enjoy them for what they are, essentially a big fishing party and don't get upset by silly things with sipmle solutions like an occasional tangle.

I always fish carrying a .44 in the open on my hip and I think that tends to keep some of the "jerks" at bay, at least quieter.

if a fellow is ready to fight while fishing then he or she should take up another relaxing way to enjoy the summer. Been in enough fights over the years for less and win or lose; I lost. I cut my line if the fish gets out of my control or don't even bother fishing if the there are more than two fishing within 50 ft. of me. Just my opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    In the 14 years I've been in the state, I've gone combat fishing once. If I had to fish in fresh water in southcentral, I'd take a canoe out and chase some wild rainbows with nobody in sight. I'll take a 12" rainbow on a pristine lake over a monster king or stringer full or reds on a crowded river any day. The masses of ***es on the rivers take away any and all pleasure I recieve from fishing.

Yep, same here.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I'm glad I read this. I didn't even know there was a rule to reel in when when someone said "fish on." I'm sure it is common sense, I mean it makes sense, but since I am new to fishing I have avoided going where there are crowds since I don't know what I'm doing yet and I'm sure I would have been one of these guys that you are describing, tangling with others, getting in the way, etc.

Maybe that's how it is for some of the other people, they don't know any better. (Like me.)

Thumbs down

Don't forget. There's another side to this situation. Picture in your mind (should be easy to do because I am sure you have seen this), a guy fishing reds with 4lb test on a 3 wt rod. A total "purest" that must play the fish to exhaustion all the way down the riverbank. Just sayin' "fish on" doesn't cut it.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast