Thread: Shrimping out of Whittier, Where did they go?

Default Shrimping out of Whittier, Where did they go?

I went to my normal spot shrimping this past weekend and I didn't get any shrimp. I normally will get 30 to 40 a pot but 1 or 2 was ridiculous...Does anyone know what has happened?

Not sure where you were shrimping, but I found in the spot we were shrimping that if I set them seemingly not that far from the previous set I could go from 30-50 per pot to nothing to two per pot. Suprising how the same general vacinity can have vastly different results if you are off on depth.

I was also suprised at how many starfish found their way into my pots.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I love to find new ways to screw up my sets. I am my own worst enemy, and the shrimps' best friend. I think I doing better at the same old spot this year. Good Luck!!

My wife and I were out shrimping this past weekend and we went from 40-60 per pot on one set to zero - literally zero on the next set. As Paul noted, a tiny change in location can make all the difference in the world.

This is my first year shrimping and previous attempts resulted in low numbers... like 30 shrimp total for 4 pots. This past weekend I did much better but had inconsistency in numbers of shrimp in the same string of pots. I fish one string of 3 pots and one of 2 pots. Most time the last pot one either string did way better than any above it. I even ran more weight in the upper pots to make sure they did not move. I also noticed that resetting in the same place resulted in lower numbers so i started moving 50-100 ft away from previous sets to reset the pots. I also noticed, at least in Blackstone where I had my pots set, that deeper was better. I did a set with the first pot at 700 ft and set the next two up hill and the one at 700 had 60 shrimp in it, the upper ones where in the 20's. Also had one Octopus who ate a good number of shrimp, but I did good. Two days of shrimping with 5, 8 and 24 hour soaks resulted in about 8 gallons of shrimp.. they are out there.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by luvtohuntak View Post
    I went to my normal spot shrimping this past weekend and I didn't get any shrimp. I normally will get 30 to 40 a pot but 1 or 2 was ridiculous...Does anyone know what has happened?
    They went to Market and some went to Home Pack. We Alaskans need to support our local commercial fisherman and go buy them instead of enjoying ourselves with our families in PWS. It gives us more time spend quality time with out families like watching TV, surfing the net or playing WII games together.

JR2 - how far apart are your pots? Put a minimum of 60 foot between them - 80 to 100 even better.

My two strings have dropper loops at 50', and I can either run all five pots at 50' intervals, or run two or three pots at 50' or 100' intervals. I haven't seen any difference in how well the pots catch whether spaced 50 or 100 feet apart. I think my best single pull was the two pots spaced 50' apart. Where the pots landed was the key, and the thing is even if you weight the pots, the slighest amount of current is going to cause them to drift signifigantly even if you drop them at the same exact spot every time.

I'd heard the spot I was shrimping was hit pretty hard by the commercial shrimpers, yet I was getting just as many shrimp as when I shrimped it two years ago, before the commercial season was re-opened.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I shrimp in a place closed to commercial. I have shrimped this area for 5 seasons, exclusively for 4 seasons. I know it pretty well and the shrimping has been off about 50 percent. I also noticed the surface water temps being higher than I remember, 56F on my last trip. It is probably a cyclic issue and will know more if my catch rates are still down next season. Early in the season my depth/fish finder was acting up and the new one has only slightly improved my catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    JR2 - how far apart are your pots? Put a minimum of 60 foot between them - 80 to 100 even better.
    I run 100 ft between pots on both strings. I am toying with the idea of running a big weight about 50-100 ft above my last pot to make sure my bouy is tugging my last pot around, but in reality my last day of shrimping on a 24 hour soak gave me 4.5 gallons of shrimp so I really can not complain too much. The pots were in blackstone by the waterfalls on the right going in... lots of pots around and I just tried to set away from others.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson