Thread: Fix for losing reel crank screw?

Default Fix for losing reel crank screw?

Hey guys,

This is the 2nd time in 2 years that I've had the thumb screw holding my crank on the reel get loose and fall out. Maybe I'm buying crappy $30 reels, but it sucks having to buy a new reel just because I'm missing some little screw.

My crank has a threaded hole in it. Do you think I could just run to Home Depot and put a regular household screw there? It would probably hold the crank on, but then my crank gears would be exposed to dust and dirt.

Do you guys put loctite on these screws so your crank doesn't fall off? It's not like I'm ever switching my crank from right to left handed.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by nuke4u View Post
    Hey guys,

This is the 2nd time in 2 years that I've had the thumb screw holding my crank on the reel get loose and fall out. Maybe I'm buying crappy $30 reels, but it sucks having to buy a new reel just because I'm missing some little screw.

My crank has a threaded hole in it. Do you think I could just run to Home Depot and put a regular household screw there? It would probably hold the crank on, but then my crank gears would be exposed to dust and dirt.

Do you guys put loctite on these screws so your crank doesn't fall off? It's not like I'm ever switching my crank from right to left handed.
    Are you referring to a spinning reel? I have a reel that I simply put a stainless screw in place of a lost thumb screw, works fine.

Yup, spinning reel.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by nuke4u View Post
    Yup, spinning reel.
    put a machine head screw in it and go fishin!!!!

Better yet. Buy a couple of them just in case
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sounds like you do have a cheap reel but home depot or lowes has a wonderful selection of specialty bolts etc. and more than likely you will be able to find one that fits the bill.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Sounds like you do have a cheap reel but home depot or lowes has a wonderful selection of specialty bolts etc. and more than likely you will be able to find one that fits the bill.
    And if not there, Trustworthy's also has a good selection of stainless hardware.

Back off your screw a ways and use a little loctite sealant. Works wonders!

Screw threads are standardized internationally. Find the right length and head an it will fit.

AIH has treated me better when it comes to strange or different types of screws.

you never stated what part onthe world you live in, to give you help it would a lot easy er if we new where you lived ????

The advice for the screw type is good, as for the locktite in situations like that I prefer to use teflon paste, it will not corrode and will allow you to take the screw out with undue effort yet will still hold the screw securely in place after it sets up.