Thread: Load for Bushmaster .223?

Default Load for Bushmaster .223?

my ar-15 .223 with a 1:9 twist isn't shooting to well, but i've only been running the cheap stuff so my kid can get some practice...is there some better loads for hunting that i should look into for something more accurate than paperplate stuff....be nice to be in a 3" circle at 100 yards....almost caribou time. thanks everyone.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

try heavier bullets
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

While it is not a hunting load, my 69gr SBTHPM loads will shoot 3/4" groups all day as long I do my part. I loaded some Barnes TSX for the wifes M4, but being at work I do not have the data.
    Shooting the 'cheap stuff' is fine for practice but that is all.

i've been shooting 77gr and 55gr in the cheap stuff, both shoot about the same as far as groupin' goes. i'll just have to buy a more premium box of hunting ammo and see what it does.
    Master guide 212

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

with 1-9 twist I would look for bullets in the 55-65 gr weight... I dont know if you really have enough twist to stabilize the 70+ grain bullets but you can always give them a try.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

If you're handloading, Sierra Match King 77 grainers, either seated to magazine depth or out further for single shot, 24 grains of RE15

no i'm not handloading...i'll look for stuff in the 55-65 range.
    Master guide 212

You shouldn't have any trouble launching 69's in your 1:9. You might get away with 75 Hor. BTHP. Can't help with the factory loads as 2 of the 3 ARs I've got running have never seen a factory round. Looking through my bullet box for .223, I've got Nosler 60 Part., Hor. 60 SP, Win. 64 PP, Barnes 53 Orig. X, and Barnes 62 TSX. 3" shouldn'd be hard with any of them and I think any of them would get the job done. I've never shot an animal with the .223, just played with the loads some.

My Grandmother was fond of the .222 with 52 gr. sp bullets for Montana mule deer.