Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped of by Wise Guide Outfitters but still have airline tickets to Alaska

Default Ripped of by Wise Guide Outfitters but still have airline tickets to Alaska

As seen on this forum before, I too was/am ripped off by Tom Murray. I had booked a trip for next month to celebrate my 55th birthday with my son. Now, after thousands apparently down the drain, all I've got are two non-refundable tickets to Anchorage. Is there any place for two strangers to Alaska to find a deent place to fish (that doesn't cost too much). Also, how expensive are the hotels in the area. I'm trying not to throw good money after bad but this trip was one of those "bucket list" things for me. Got some health issues so only the Lord knows when time is up. Really would like to at least catch one wild salmon. Any info from this forum would be appreciated. Thanks.

August is prime time for Silvers, which are my favorite! You can catch them right downtown at Ship Creek or there are many other places Eklutna Tailtace, Jim Creek, Bird Creek, Little Susitna just to name a few other that are within 45 minutes or so from Anchorage. Good Luck!

As FishAddictAK stated, when you get into town hit me up id be more than happy to show you the way or atleast let you know where the fish are.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Lots of good cheap fishing close to town, but on the hotel list you can get a super nice tent and whole camp setup for what a night or two would cost you. Plus you get the benefit of staying on the river if you wanted.

Bring warm cloths, sleeping bags and a 2 person tent. Most camp sites are around 18 bucks a night, or find a place to pull off the road. As FishAddict said, August is prime time for silvers, and they are a lot of fun. Pick up a copy of the "Highway Angler" that will help you know where the different fishing areas are. Ship Creek can be good for silvers, and is right down town, however not the most scenic area in the world, at least take a drive down to Bird Creek, the Turnagin Arm is that "Picturesque" Alaska backdrop. Make sure you get a tide book, best fishing for Silvers is on the incoming/early out going tide. The tides come in fast so if you do go to bird creek be aware of that and don't get stuck in the mud. I take my kids down there sometimes but go late on the outgoing tide, lots of Pinks and Chums still pushing up river at that time, but silvers seem a lot sparser.

Read through these forums, especially right before your trip so ya know what the runs are looking like.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the guide service. Hopefully you still have a good and memorable trip to Alaska. I've been up here for 3 years now and I am still in love with it.

If your trip is Early Aug, Russian River Reds are an option as well. Rental Cabins in the area--Cooper Landing.

You asked for a hotel and they gave you a tent.

Try the Best Western on Spenard; call and ask for the cheaper side rates.
    Also call Holiday Inn Express on Spenard.

Neither are tents, both are close to the airport with free limo service, plus you can walk out the door of either and within a five minute walk towards the downdown find local car rentals who will bargain rate much better than the airport.

The rest of the local advice was accurate...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    You asked for a hotel and they gave you a tent.

Try the Best Western on Spenard; call and ask for the cheaper side rates.
    Also call Holiday Inn Express on Spenard.

Neither are tents, both are close to the airport with free limo service, plus you can walk out the door of either and within a five minute walk towards the downdown find local car rentals who will bargain rate much better than the airport.

The rest of the local advice was accurate...

Rosenberg/Florida
    In that case, Red Roof Inn is on Fifth Avenue is great. I only paid $85 and the place was not that bad considering the fact that is priced much lower than some of the others. I was a very short way from Ship Creek and they have an awesome sushi resteraunt. Just my two cents on a hotel...

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    In that case, Red Roof Inn is on Fifth Avenue is great. I only paid $85 and the place was not that bad considering the fact that is priced much lower than some of the others. I was a very short way from Ship Creek and they have an awesome sushi resteraunt. Just my two cents on a hotel...
    Hasn't that been changed to the red nose inn?
    http://www.adn.com/2010/01/29/111696...-divisive.html

Really? Wow, news to me! It was a good place to stay back when I lived in Fairbanks and needed a cheap place to stay while I did a little fishing in the Anchorage area!!!

I'm taking the first week of August off for some fishing. I'd be more than willing to share the cost of gas if you would like a ride to some of the spots less traveled. I'd also recommend getting a drop off ride from one of the little su guides. The charge around $50 "taxi" fee an will drop you for HHS day at a good hole

If nothing else let me know when you are in town, I hit the Deshka regularly and I always have room, just help with the launch!

As always I am impressed with my fellow forum members and their generosity! Sounds like plenty of people here have no problem showing you the ways of the force up here. I say take 'em up on their offers. These guys catch some of the best fish Alaska has to offer! And if the interior ever falls into your plans we'd be happy to put you and your party on fish up here too! Good job forum members! Fish On!

Sapper in the Skies

I can offer a plane ride and boat ride to fish up at lake creek. Killer pink and silver fishing first week of august.. No fee unless you wanna help out with gas. Just depends on work i guess
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Impressed by Alaskans

Not having ever been to your great State before, I am moved by all of the offers for assistance and information. Thanks to all. Looks like I may be salvaging something out of this trip afterall. I wasn't clear about the time but we are arriving August 19th. I hope that doesn't have a major effect on the silver fishing. Again, thanks again. I was really depressed yesterday, not just having lost the money but it was a trip I had been looking forward to for almost two years (and telling everyone about). Due to job issues, I've had to move away from my son and this trip together was going to be the perfect way for us to reconnect.
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo1023 View Post
    As seen on this forum before, I too was/am ripped off by Tom Murray. I had booked a trip for next month to celebrate my 55th birthday with my son. Now, after thousands apparently down the drain, all I've got are two non-refundable tickets to Anchorage. Is there any place for two strangers to Alaska to find a deent place to fish (that doesn't cost too much). Also, how expensive are the hotels in the area. I'm trying not to throw good money after bad but this trip was one of those "bucket list" things for me. Got some health issues so only the Lord knows when time is up. Really would like to at least catch one wild salmon. Any info from this forum would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    I can offer a plane ride and boat ride to fish up at lake creek. Killer pink and silver fishing first week of august.. No fee unless you wanna help out with gas. Just depends on work i guess
    When I talk about Alaska, which I do quite often, someone will say, "I took a cruise, and it was incredible". I agree with them, an Alaskan cruise is incredible, but inside I always think they missed the best part of Alaska, the people.

Posts like this prove I'm right.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

My buddy and his wife from Alabama visited us last year around August 19th. He had never caught salmon before and managed to out fish me on 2 of our trips. Took him to Soldotna to do the Board Walk Congo and he landed 2 very nice silvers, the fillets weighed about 30 pounds.

Looks like you have plenty of good offers here, but if find yourself needing fishing partners on a weekend while you are here drop me a PM. I fish the road system but more than willing to have you guys along somewhere.

Goes for me too, if all else fails, shoot me a PM and I am good for a couple of days in that time frame....

Try looking into the Soldotna hostel, I think it is $25 a day. You could silver fish from the boardwalk or another areas off the Kenai or Kasilof. Make a run towards Homer and fish the 3 streams that way. Bonus is then head to Lands End for the sights. I head there on the 8/16 and will be in Anchor point on the 19th after a few days in Seward. Live in CO and head somewhere every year and do it on the cheap.
    They probably are full, as I have 1 of 2 cabins at the Bee Hive in Anchor Point but you can also give that a try. There is also another hostel in Ninilchix that is cheap. There is also a B&B in that area called Bear Essencles. I think a room for 2 runs $85 a night and they have kitchen facilities.

I should be able to help you out for a couple days. I would be running the little sue and I could drop off and pick up.
    No charge is needed just a great big smile from a great day on the river. I usually on the river anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast