Thread: rainbow fishing on rivers

Default rainbow fishing on rivers

Was camping on the little su this weekend and with the kings closed there wanted to try some rainbow fishing. Everything I had was for fishing in the lakes around anchorage (power bait, eggs, etc on a light weight rod with spin caster). Question is when the other fish aren't hitting how do I fish for rainbows on the river without the fly rod. Any tips hints or suggestions are appreciated. P.s. Saw quite a few kings in the river though. Wondering if maybe the closure was a little premature.

Was there myself this weekend, didn't catch any bows either, I don't think they are there in huge numbers, and what is there is looking for spawners to get an easy meal. Saw lots of kings too, and I don't have any issue with the closing. Lots of other fish in the river to catch, and in four years the ones that are there now will reward the closure.( I hope)

where were you camping??? Were you down by the parks hwy or were you further up stream??? I would throw little spinners if you didnt have a fly rod. If you have a fly rod use beads, egg sucking leach, dolly llamas or even flesh flys. Also if you were using a spinning rod you could use a streamer (basically a mepps 2 with a streamer behind it). Do not use bait of any kind!!! you will get busted.

I've had Rainbows hit my King lures a number of times... not quite sure why an 8" rainbow thinks that trying to attack a size #5 vibrax is a good idea but whatever..

The logical extention would be to drop the spinner size down to 0 ~2 and you should be good to go, you may want to change the type of spinner to more trouty ones. I like panther martins personally, but streamers, and small hooks with single egg looking beads work too. Wet flies can be attached to spinning gear just as easily as to a fly rod so egg sucking leech, little orange egg looking flies, and flesh flies work just as well on a spinning setup as with a fly rod... you may just be less efficient than with a fly rod.

biggest challenge will be to drop your gear size. For Kings you need a Medium~Heavy rod with 25# line. For Rainbows the ideal would be a light rod with 6~10# line. You will have a similarchallenge with Silvers and Red gear just not as extreme.

Typlically what I'll do is still use my Medium action Uglystick with a sensitive tip and carry the second reel spooled with 6# line and a box of small spinners and a couple leaders with trout hooks and flies. If you are fishing for salmon with roe the bait is the easy part. couple eggs of a skein on a hook does just fine.

One warning though, many of the salmon streams are closed to Rainbow fishing or have different or additional restrictions, (i.e. no bait) so make sure you know the trout regulations for where you are fishing!

I was throwing my small vibrax size number two since it was all I had that wasn't bait. Didn't get a bite figured I would come to the boards since there is usually some good advice on here. I was camping down by the public use facility. Saw a couple dollies and a few trout caught. I have my salmon pole too, thought some early silvers migh be up there, but didn't see anything. Maybe in a couple weeks. Never really see any trout fisherman when I'm out so I can ask them questions first hand and watch their presentation and techniques.

Silvers come in late july
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Silvers come in late july
    What he said.^

I hope so. I got skunked on kings. My wife and I are coming back up for silvers on Friday the 29th & Sat the 30th.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Silvers should be great as always..
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I'm getting the impression people can't wait for silvers