Thread: Gulkana Kings

Default Gulkana Kings

Just came back from the Gulkana this past weekend. Floated Sourdough to the bridge. Totaled 6 kings between the group and every other group we ran into had caught at least one as well. On top of that, we saw the most fish jumping/finning as we have ever seen. Kinda makes you wonder if their sampling at the counter is super accurate!

Also wish they would either let us keep the fish or I think they should shut the fishery down completely...Even with single hooks, I am wondering what kind of mortality some of these fish are having with the catch and release

Rifle River MI

Glad to hear you had a good time and your point "no pun" is well put. We were discussing that same subject about two weeks ago while fun what is the actaul damage to potentially spawning fish. I am sure a ten year 1 million buck study would show us the numbers. I know I know sorry for being a smart butt. Interesting thought though.

Big Lake

Conversely, what do you think the return will be like when this spawn returns?
    What do you think it would do to the system if the Gulkana was ONLY C&R for the next 4 years?
    I'm sure there is some mortality from C&R. I'm also there is some poaching happening.
    It would be interesting to know which is the larger number.