Thread: Need Honda Outboard Mech...

Default Need Honda Outboard Mech...

Hey guys I am looking for a Honda Outboard mechanic in Anchorage other than the boys in Mountain view... any know of one?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Whats the problem , can we help?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Outboard-Help Basically have a check engine light, idles rough and will not get to full RPM.. I have a shop manual coming and I will call and make an appointment with the boys in Mountain View today. Everyone is booked up and the soonest anyone can look at it is two weeks from now in Anchorage, 2.5 weeks in Soldonata and October in Seward. Just curious if there are any freelance shops around that do Honda repair?

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Outboard-Help Basically have a check engine light, idles rough and will not get to full RPM.. I have a shop manual coming and I will call and make an appointment with the boys in Mountain View today. Everyone is booked up and the soonest anyone can look at it is two weeks from now in Anchorage, 2.5 weeks in Soldonata and October in Seward. Just curious if there are any freelance shops around that do Honda repair?
    Your book, your help and my experience....pretty sure we can get it figured out. I know you have folks coming into town but it may be a pretty simple fix. It does sound like it is running in a limp mode or off on one cylinder. How far off idle before things smooth out? Fuel injected? Plugs last changed? simple stuff 1st....I seen you tried filters but may be worth a second look?

Wish I had time to figure it out. The boat is being picked up in Whittier by my Dad tomorrow afternoon and being taken straight to AKMD (I know I know)... I have to have it running by the 21 and I will not be back from the slope for sure until the 19th. I really wanted to take a shot at getting it sorted myself and any other time I would have done just that, but this time with my father in law coming up from California to go fishing I can just not have it down. I hate having someone else work on my stuff that I know I can probably fix for half of what I am going to pay, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Next time something happens I will be prepared with the manual and anything else I can think of ready to go.

The motor runs good at 1000 rpm all the way to 5500 or so. The upper limit seems to move around a bit with how hard I am running the other motor so it makes sense that its limiting the power to protect itself. I have not changed anything on the motor as the previous owner said it had been to the shop the fall before I bought it for a checkup and to be winterized. I did check the fuel filters for water, drain and refill lower units and check the oil. Everything looked good so I have been running them. I have a feeling this is going to be a real simple fix, like an O2 sensor or MAP sensor plus new filters. The boat had about 1/2 tank of fuel in it when I bought it and it was a at least 1 year old.. I ran a few bottles of IsoHeat and 60 gallons of Premium on top of that with the old fuel and never missed a beat. I also checked the water separators a few times while burning that tank up.

Thanks for your offer of Help Dupont, one of these times I am going to take you up on it...

Be VERY CAREFUL what you run through those motors and PREMIUM FUEL does NOTHING for them and may even harm the motor. If you don't have a owners manual contact www.hondamarine.com and get one.

I don't run premium all the time, I just added 60 gallons of it to the one + year old fuel I got with the boat to freshen up the 100 gallons that was in the tank. The ISO heat was to help with any water. Motors ran fine and all that fuel has been gone for quite a while. Boat is at the shop, shop is going to call when they know something....