Thread: AK game care

Default AK game care

Hey guys,

I have hunted my whole life, but down in the lower 48. Mostly white-tails and such. I'm curious if there is a book or video that you recommend on what to do after the kill. Caping out for the taxidermist, how, or where to cut the meat, how to keep the meat from spoiling..ect. I've always had the convenience of skinning, butchering and throwing it in the freezer.

Thanks Much

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have hunted my whole life, but down in the lower 48. Mostly white-tails and such. I'm curious if there is a book or video that you recommend on what to do after the kill. Caping out for the taxidermist, how, or where to cut the meat, how to keep the meat from spoiling..ect. I've always had the convenience of skinning, butchering and throwing it in the freezer.

Thanks Much
    A couple great places to start.

Mikes Book

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=400

Larry B video on game care.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=288

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Steve

:In addition to those already recommended, I would add the Fish and Game video "Field Care of Big Game." There are a copy of instructionalsw avaiable for caping. Russ Knight (Knight's Taxidermy in Anchorage) does some field guides, laminated cards. Dave McClannahan Lone Wolf Taxidermy has an excellent CD that incudes doing the eyes, ears, etc.

Chris,

Swing by my place when you get back. I have a ton of books and videos you can borrow, I should be able to help you get started.

Plus your brother's flashlight is still in my truck.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 07-06-2011 at 04:40.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    : Russ Knight (Knight's Taxidermy in Anchorage) does some field guides, laminated cards. Dave McClannahan Lone Wolf Taxidermy has an excellent CD that incudes doing the eyes, ears, etc.
    Have you seen Knight's Taxidermy? I wouldn't take a rabbit for them to do. Watch Mounted in Alaska, you'll see how they treat people's animals. Almost every episode has something falling off the wall.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Yes, I've known Russ since 98 and I would certainly take more than a rabbit to him. In fact I have with excellent results. The show is just like any other "reality" show on TV, mostly faked problems and things. Everything is set up, you don't think those customers actually just wander in do you? You can't possibly believe everything you see in those shows. Except for the lion that was in the first show, there's not readily apparent problem with the mounts.

Besides, that was not the question. Russ does a bear skinning class that is pretty good and the cards are a good thing to have in the field. Dave, Lone Wolf Taxidermy has an excellent CD I would recommend to anyone. Finally one that actually gives details aabout turning lips, ears and eyes.