Thread: Buddy's Valdez Leading Halibut

Default Buddy's Valdez Leading Halibut

A friend of mine took the lead in the Valdez derby with this 335.7 pound halibut on his own 24 ft. boat. I'm impressed they got that goliath on the boat.

Nice fish a friend of mine is leading the Homer derby with that 350 lb fish. I always wanted to know what the biggest one down there is that we done see. Congrats to your friend

Holy crap that thing is huge!!! What kind of time frame was the battle? Congrats to your buddy!!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

It took about 45 minutes to get on board. He was fishing some Halibut rigs I made up for him. I'm sure glad that they did the deed and held strong. I've never even come close to a fish that big.

Sounds like you made a great rig! I hear you on the size...my biggest is 65#.
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

He was fishing some Halibut rigs I made up for him.

Snowcamoman, Can you send or attach a picture of the rig you made? Hope it's not a secret. Thanks

Kyle,
    I'll try to get a picture of the rigs when he gets me one of them. He has all of the rigs I made (12), so I'll need to borrow one until I get more material to make some more. It's not a secret type though, just a heavy duty 3 way swivel with a cork tail swivel and 30" or so dropper for the weight. The second, part of the swivel has about 16" of 150lb line to the circle hook. All connections are swedged and the line to the hook has thimbles to keep wear and tear on the mono to a minimum when the fish is pulling away. I'll probably be making up a bunch of them in the near future for anybody interested.