Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked UTV at Eureka?

Default Wrecked UTV at Eureka?

Anyone know the story of a side by side wreck near Eureka? I saw one on a trailer..... the rear end was seperated from the cage and the front end was in pieces. It looked pretty bad.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I sure hope nobody was hurt. We had a pretty bad Razr wreck that our department responded to up on Petersville road a week or two ago. It's pretty easy to outrun the suspension capabilities on the UTV's really quick.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I heard the guy was hurt real bad but in stable condition at Prov, luckily the passenger escaped with very minor injuries. According to the story he tried to climb a nasty steep mountain by horsepasture and the Razor rolled backwards and tumbled down the mountain for some uncertain distance. This mountain was described as "much steeper than the face of Monument." If I heard the story right the Razor rolled over the driver after he eventually was tossed from the cab. No helmets, no seat belts and they made a bad decision. There wasn't much left of the Razor except for the frame and a few parts and pieces. The driver fractured his skull, hemorrhaging of the brain, dislocated his hip, and some more. I believe I have a picture of the mangled mess on my camera.

I hope he can make a solid recovery.

thats sad, a reminder guys use your brain! dont outride your skills and wear the right gear!

He also crushed a vertebrae, and damaged his larynx (SP?), from the binos around his neck during the roll. My buddy was with his group, and was the first on site after the roll... from what he says, it was brutal. They had to medivac him out of there.... He said he'd send me some pictures this afternoon... I'll post them up as they aren't too graphic when I get them...

Dang WG.... post some pics so people will start wearing their safety gear.

Best wishes to the injured.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

This is the best picture I have.

Whats a Razor?

Wow I always thought those where the safest ATV's out there with the roll cage and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Wow I always thought those where the safest ATV's out there with the roll cage and everything.
    I don't think anything is safe when you lose control on a hill "Steeper than Monument". When I saw it in the parking lot at Eureka, I seriously wondered if anyone lived.
    Bill Hicks

When something big and heavy is rolling down a hill at you the only thing safer is something less big and less heavy.

It looks like the roll cage is mostly intact. A helmet and a seatbelt would have likely made a huge difference in the outcome. Hope he recovers and that the rest of can learn from this!

Additionally, there was a group that passed us between lil nel and lil tyone that seriously worried me.
    Picture this, a four wheeler with an adult driving and what looked to be a 3 year old in front of him holding on to a snorkel as they made their way down the trail heading back to the parking lot. Which must mean this child rode down monument, crossed lil nel, to lil Tyone, and all of that again back to the parking lot on a wheeler. No safety gear what so ever and the child holding on for dear life.

I wouldn't do this trip with my family until we had a machine that I felt was capable of safely hauling all of us there and back let alone sticking a small child in front of me on a wheeler and making the roughly 60 mile round trip through some questionable terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    When something big and heavy is rolling down a hill at you the only thing safer is something less big and less heavy.

It looks like the roll cage is mostly intact. A helmet and a seatbelt would have likely made a huge difference in the outcome. Hope he recovers and that the rest of can learn from this!
    Yeah I wonder what the outcome would have been if they were wearing belts. Roll cage not much help if you're outside it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Dang WG.... post some pics so people will start wearing their safety gear.Best wishes to the injured.
    PPE's and common sense go a long ways when riding. Monument is pretty steep and "much steeper than Monument"....that sounds pretty steep! I hope the guy recovers fully and that others will learn from this. It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Yeah I wonder what the outcome would have been if they were wearing belts. Roll cage not much help if you're outside it.
    Looks like he has (had) a newer razor with a real rollbar. The 2009s and older are not even rated for rollovers and fold like a clean shirt.

From what I seen the roll cage would have protected them if they were wearing their gear. I have another story from the 4th weekend and that is my daughter's soccer team lost their goalie for the rest of the season because of an ATV wreck. She has a factured skull and a second girl has a collapsed lung and still in the hospital as of the message this morning. I hope all heal soon.

I know many of us hate wearing helmets especially when it's warm and nice but not wearing safety equipment is dumb. When I moved my daughter up to a bigger CC snowmachine and we started running studs I bought her a TEK vest, it was thanks Dad and where is yours......I now wear one always, even riding ATV's and it has saved my butt more times then I really want to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I know many of us hate wearing helmets especially when it's warm and nice but not wearing safety equipment is dumb. When I moved my daughter up to a bigger CC snowmachine and we started running studs I bought her a TEK vest, it was thanks Dad and where is yours......I now wear one always, even riding ATV's and it has saved my butt more times then I really want to admit.
    Good for you. I, too, wear a helmet and a tek-vest when I ride. The tek-vest has saved me from pain from hitting the handlebars a couple times and I wrecked in January (thrown off machine) and broke 2 ribs despite the tek-vest but I rode out. I firmly believe that without that vest I'd have been medivac'd or worse.

I hope these people that were injured recover fully and that their experience convinces other people that it can happen to anyone and start wearing their PPE.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

On my UTV I have the less than suped on rangers anyhow I always wear my seat belt, I do like the side nets that come on them now at least those will keep in the vehicle for a awhile. I tell folks when they get in with me put on the seat belt if we roll this thing it is going to be a bad day... I do try to drive with sense, most of the time I have my wife and daughter with me so the stupid meter is always on zero... I wonder if they had that new rzr that has the 80 plus HPOengine in it? Spot on the roll cages I think 2010 was the 1st year the cages were approved for roll overs anything before those cages are a decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Additionally, there was a group that passed us between lil nel and lil tyone that seriously worried me.
    Picture this, a four wheeler with an adult driving and what looked to be a 3 year old in front of him holding on to a snorkel as they made their way down the trail heading back to the parking lot. Which must mean this child rode down monument, crossed lil nel, to lil Tyone, and all of that again back to the parking lot on a wheeler. No safety gear what so ever and the child holding on for dear life.

I wouldn't do this trip with my family until we had a machine that I felt was capable of safely hauling all of us there and back let alone sticking a small child in front of me on a wheeler and making the roughly 60 mile round trip through some questionable terrain.
    You shoudl go out there more we saw some crazy stuff a month or so ago a guy on a polaris 850 had a kid with him maybe 6 or 7 anyhow he was using a ratchet strap of some sorts to secure the kid to him to keep him from falling off. Down they went to the little Nelchina and back up they went... Sometimes I set an wonder how in the heck hospitals from Wasilla to Anchorage are not swamped with idiot riders go to Jims creek wow the stuff you see out thier will have you scratching your head for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast