Thread: Stupid things I saw last weekend in PWS

Default Stupid things I saw last weekend in PWS

Two things I saw that seemed particularly stupid to me. One was a lady driving what looked like a small Trophy out of Main Bay and headed toward Culross. She was purposefully making the boat (or letting the boat) porpoise like crazy which is fine with me, but the boat was loaded with kids and most of them were crowded around the bow hanging onto the rail while mom gave them a wild ride. All it takes is one kid bouncing loose and getting run over.

Then as we came into the dock at Whittier, after pounding through 3-4 ft. seas just outside Passage Canal, there were 3 adults and one maybe 3-year-old girl in a very small skiff with little freeboard about to head out. I told them what we just went through and it didn't seem to phase them. At least the kid had on a PFD, but if the skiff turns over and the 3 adults drown it's not going to matter that the kid has on a PFD. Yes, going out is their choice, but not the kid's choice.

But on the bright side, Saturday and Sunday were beautiful.

Still surprises me that some have the $$ to play but are completely ignorant to the dangers or basics. Kills me out there sometimes...seems like PWS has more than it`s share but they are everywhere.

My last trip out of Seward we were almost broadsided by a delinquent boater with her head down doing something else while coming out of the slips at more than reasonable speed. Until I left the helm to scream at them she was oblivious. The 3 guys in the back were obviously too busy checking her out...very close call...`bout 3` of seperation when her head popped up. I think I did a great job of embarrasing her as everyone on our boat said she was red in the face and nobody on-board their vessel would look at us or respond on radio.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I followed a guy in the Whittier Harbor on Saturday that was talking on his cell phone and weaving back and fourth.. .he finally must have felt the glare I was giving him and when he turned around he was surprised to see me 10 ft behind his boat. He turned down a finger of the docks to get out of the way.

Saw a few people who had no business running there boats.. one big bayliner looking boat that was running out of passage canal tipped so far back that I don't think the guy could see the water out of the cabin of his boat. He was standing on the flying bridge... The boat was tipped back at a 45.. I know those boats are heavy in the back but come on man trim out your motors or use your trim tabs and you might see in front of you.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Friday night in Whittier some people launched their boat with the trailer still attached, than somehow the trailer got stuck under the dock. The tide was coming in and the dock just settled on top of the trailer, harbor master helper dude just shook his head and walked away. What should have been a 5 minute launch for use turned into a half hour fiasco. The trailer under the ramp dock wasnít going to budge tell the tide turned so there was no helping them people out; itís always something.

Had a great 4 day weekend, landed Butt, Ling, and Silver.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

This was one of the more entertaining departures out of Whittier for us. At the gate to the tunnel I watched a guy run the light and tear down the gate with his boat. The whittier police were sitting right there and were on him before the gate hit the ground. They pulled him over before the tunnel and then to top it all off he cut in line at the launch in front of a half dozen other boats. Thankfully Wait'n Game was there reminding me to laugh and not fume about it. Nice boat by way. Funny stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Friday night in Whittier some people launched their boat with the trailer still attached, than somehow the trailer got stuck under the dock. The tide was coming in and the dock just settled on top of the trailer, harbor master helper dude just shook his head and walked away. What should have been a 5 minute launch for use turned into a half hour fiasco. The trailer under the ramp dock wasnít going to budge tell the tide turned so there was no helping them people out; itís always something.

Had a great 4 day weekend, landed Butt, Ling, and Silver.
    Anyone who's spent any time at a launch has seen someone float their trailer....but I've never seen one lodge under the dock. That's awesome!

I saw a guy once in Homer towing his trailer with his boat on the water. He had floated it with about 10 huge bouys and was headed to Seldovia the best I could tell.

I spent an hour sitting in the chairs behind the ice cream shop Saturday night watching the "ramp show"... nothing really exciting but sure was fun to watch.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I saw a guy once in Homer towing his trailer with his boat on the water. He had floated it with about 10 huge bouys and was headed to Seldovia the best I could tell.

I spent an hour sitting in the chairs behind the ice cream shop Saturday night watching the "ramp show"... nothing really exciting but sure was fun to watch.
    10 big buoys cost a lot more than the ferry, unless he had the buoys already. That is some funny stuff though
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

It was funny to see the trailer bunks sticking out of the water and then go by and see an whole trailer floating just beneath the surface... crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    It was funny to see the trailer bunks sticking out of the water and then go by and see an whole trailer floating just beneath the surface... crazy stuff.
    You gotta wonder if he ever got it up on step?

A couple of years ago in Homer, a guy launched his boat and trailer together. A couple of extra straps and he boated it over to Seldovia. So not real odd.

Weekend before last, I was working in the bilge of my 2858 in Whittier Harbor when I heard a resounding metallic "thunk!", followed by the sickening skid of aluminum over concrete. The owner of a beautiful GC (looked to be 28') was apparently backing down the launch ramp when his boat jumped the trailer and started to slide. Came to a stop when it wedged against the dock near the water line. Though I heard it, I didn't see the actual incident. My best guess is that somebody took the safety chain off a little early. They brought a lift out, cradled her, and eventually put her back on the trailer, though it shut the lane down for a matter of hours. The GC seemed no worse for the wear - didn't see any damage to the outboards or warping of the hull. Would be interesting to know if the owner was really that lucky.