Thread: Valdez in October

Default Valdez in October

Question:

I'll be driving near Valdez around the first week of October. I'm' coming up to Alaska to moose and caribou hunt. As much as I would love to spend a few days really hunting sea ducks, my money is pretty much going to be kaput at that point. I would really love to shoot a Harlequin before I leave for Basic Training a few weeks later. Is it worth my time to throw out a few decoys from shore and put in some full chokes? Im willing to do a lot of sitting for one duck but didn't know if it would be a total waste of time. I've been told the Harlequins wont be in full plumage at this point anyway. Thoughts?

First week of October would be hard for colored birds. Harlequin do color very early compared to other species, so you may be able to find one worth mounting. I have shot them mid Oct and they made perfect mounts.

As far as Valdez goes. Not trying to discourage you from coming here, but we have weird shooting laws and the one area you can shot with road access you are going to find mainly puddle ducks and some mergansers. You may luck out, but go to the police office and ask for a shooting area map so you know where you can and can't hunt. If you are willing to hike 3-4 miles there are options, as long as the wind is blowing the right direction for birds to float in.

many years ago - Robe lake - was great back there in the 80's like most things. Unlike today where most things dont even compare.

Well somewhat in a change of plans. I was hoping to take the Ferry out of Valdez but I'll be leaving Homer on the 26th of September now and will have a day or 2 to kill there. Would a similiar approach in Homer be worthwhile?