Thread: Beautiful places suck when stupid people abound

Default Beautiful places suck when stupid people abound

I took my family down to Whiskey Gulch yesterday. Beautiful place, and the weather was very agreeable. We set up camp, then had a fun irish lord derby to see who could catch the largest and then ate dinner. Toward early evening I noticed that a noisy crowd of 20-ish kids was growing near the base of the hill, but hoped for the best. We lit a few fireworks on the beach, then retired to camp for some campfire time. By then the crowd had started to get juiced and had turned up their stereo louder and the expletives were beginning to fly (I hate that in front of kids). By midnight it was extremely loud and they were yelling at each other.

Well, to make a long story short, this group basically took over the whole place and played their music and yelled and screamed until maybe 4AM. Oh, and they decided to set off their own mortars about 2AM followed by ridiculous drunken slurs. When I got up at about 7:30, one of these idiots was moaning in his tent like a cow and yelling (no less) "Oh, I'm so sick."

In the middle of the night I had felt like taking a shot gun over and blowing up the boom box, but with mean stupid drunks... not worth it. i would have just left in a regular camp ground, but getting out of the Whiskey Gulch hill in the dark isn't fun with a heavy camper. You may want to avoid this place on holidays or weekends. It always amazes me how utterly selfish and stupid some people can be. These people cared nothing about the campers around them, just their own alcoholic pursuits. I hope they get a good dose of karma on down the line.

Drunks with hangovers, eh? I would have made as much NOISE as possible whilst preparing to leave. Play your radio with volume cranked way up, bang a tire iron on something, etc.
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Drunk kids on the k-pen or the valley on the 4th really? That's why I stay home.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Memorial day and the fourth at good weekends to take on summer projects around the house. My undertaking this weekend was new tile, toilet, and trim in the upstairs bathroom. Lowes and home depot were both drunk free and not crowded at all!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Been there! When in a campground, the expectation that rules (quiet hours etc.) be followed is reasonable. When camping in an area where anything goes...it often does. It's difficult to fault folks for finding a place to let it all hang out (so-to-speak)...at least they were on the beach and not out on the roads.

I fault them because there is such a thing as basic human consideration. If you are surrounded by families camping you may want to show some respect and allow them to enjoy the surrounding as well. The only surroundings these folks were enjoying seemed to be the circle of drunks they were in. They could have "let it all hang out" in a gravel pit somewhere.

Further, to use your logic that they were better off doing their carousing off the beaten track is tantamount to saying that it is better that idiots shoot up signs or poach fish/game off the beaten path to keep them away from civil folks. I make the case for common sense and some basic consideration of others wherever one may find themselves.

If you are saying that I should have expected such nonsense, you are probably correct. Color me ever hopeful that people might do the right thing by others instead of being selfish pigs.

Sad but true. We camp away from crowds for just this reason - and holiday weekends are the worst. I agree with your thoughts though, Sayak.
    If you go back, consider Marshall/AK's advice. Take $200 out to Houston the week before your trip. It might seem juvenile and all that now, but with an armful of fireworks...and heart stopping decibels, you'll have new options the following morning. Oh, and you'll need a good boom box too. Take them along. You can always change your mind.
    Let us know - maybe we'll join you.

That story is exactly why we only camp on the weekdays. The typical trip starts on a Monday with 3 hours of picking up other people's garbage. Once that's done we can usually enjoy ourselves until Friday rolls around and the idiots once again return.

Well I can tell you that unfortunately what you are seeing is not just an Alaskan thing. My family only stays in established campgrounds (with enforced quiet time, etc) on the weekends. There are alot of good places (scenery, fishing, outdoors, etc) on the nearby rivers, but on weekends those places sound just like what you are describing below. Kind of takes all the fun out of family rest, relaxation, fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Toward early evening I noticed that a noisy crowd of 20-ish kids was growing near the base of the hill, but hoped for the best. We lit a few fireworks on the beach, then retired to camp for some campfire time. By then the crowd had started to get juiced and had turned up their stereo louder and the expletives were beginning to fly (I hate that in front of kids). By midnight it was extremely loud and they were yelling at each other.

Well, to make a long story short, this group basically took over the whole place and played their music and yelled and screamed until maybe 4AM. Oh, and they decided to set off their own mortars about 2AM followed by ridiculous drunken slurs. When I got up at about 7:30, one of these idiots was moaning in his tent like a cow and yelling (no less) "Oh, I'm so sick."
    This is when they're yours. After you get up, turn on your own boom box. If you don't have one, open the door to your truck and let it rip. Talk loudly. Don't let them sleep. Give them every bit of what they've given you.

When they ask why you're doing what you're doing (and they invariably will), tell them "it's party time". Explain that people have different hours. They had theirs. Now you're having yours.

Nothing teaches a lesson better than experience. Let them feel what they dished out. It's the "karma" you want them to receive, and it most certainly is better to give than to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Memorial day and the fourth at good weekends to take on summer projects around the house. My undertaking this weekend was new tile, toilet, and trim in the upstairs bathroom. Lowes and home depot were both drunk free and not crowded at all!
    This has been my tradition for 2 years now. Its so quiet in the neighborhood during holidays its fantastic, I get my projects done during the day, have a BBQ then sit in front of the fire pit in the backyard in complete silence.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    This has been my tradition for 2 years now. Its so quiet in the neighborhood during holidays its fantastic, I get my projects done during the day, have a BBQ then sit in front of the fire pit in the backyard in complete silence.
    To each his own. But if you stay home and tackle home projects, or sit around your fire pit in complete silence you'll be missing an opportunity to light fireworks on the beach to the delight of your children. To me fireworks are part/parcel with celebrating Independence Day.

You and I think alot alike Sayak. I always assume others will treat me as I would treat them. Its been my downfall. People nowadays just dont have the common courtesy to repect others. It not everybody but it only takes a few to seem like it. I use to camp down at whiskey gultch alot in the 1980's. I bet your kids will learn something from the outing. When they are older in their 20's camping they will speak up to the loud friends and tell them to behave!