Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A case for more troopers

Default A case for more troopers

Was up on the Parks on saturday and found this hen dead on a gravel bar. Just look at the condition of this thing and the snaggin' hook in her tail. Not to mention the gaping hole in her gut. Absolutely disgusting. If I would have found who did this I would've made them eat that hook. I hope they catch the next one in the eye ball. If this isn't a case for more enforcement, I don't know what is. Enjoy......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Here's two more. There's 4,000 eggs that don't make it to the gravel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is freaking sickening. What in the hell are people thinking.

I know its not going to stop it by why do they even sell those hooks? The hooks are geared for an illegal type of fishing. If you're caught in possession of them you should be fined and the hooks taken away.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The hooks are legal in the salt in several places.

Yes c6, they are legal in some salt water areas.

I hate seeing crap like this. It's no wonder why the king runs suck so bad. I bet these scumbags are probably down there during the week days doing this as well. The problem is, there is no way the troopers can keep tabs on all the streams.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The problem is, there is no way the troopers can keep tabs on all the streams.
    Hence the title of the thread! I know they can't be everywhere, which sucks, because not only did I find this one but I saw two guys snag a king a piece and keep them. I had some words for those two! Also, today on the Russian there was a group of french dudes snagging reds and keeping them, and over limits to. They had trash bags full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Hence the title of the thread! I know they can't be everywhere, which sucks, because not only did I find this one but I saw two guys snag a king a piece and keep them. I had some words for those two! Also, today on the Russian there was a group of french dudes snagging reds and keeping them, and over limits to. They had trash bags full of them.
    Wow, there should be no excuses when it comes to that behavior. I can just see some of the tourist saying "I didnt know??"...

I hope you reported them. I know I would be right there taking pictures of them and the fish and whatever else I could to identify them and calling it in. A good cell phone video clip would be good to show what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The problem is, there is no way the troopers can keep tabs on all the streams.
    Totally agree, but you sure would think you would see them more in the hot spots, Russian River, Montana Creek, Bird Creek, and Hope when they start.

Have been to the Russian several times this year and have yet to see trooper or wildlife enforcement presence. And yea yea I know that sometimes you don't see them cus they are in plain clothes.

But like I said, you sure would think they would hit the hot spots more in uniform, if nothing else as a deterrent to the scum bags.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I can just see some of the tourist saying "I didnt know??"...
    They weren't tourists...the king snaggers that is.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I hope you reported them. I know I would be right there taking pictures of them and the fish and whatever else I could to identify them and calling it in. A good cell phone video clip would be good to show what they are doing.
    I took a picture of the king snaggers while pretending to take a pic of the trout I caught by them. I called fish and game as soon as I got back in cell range, but the two dudes were long gone. Unfortunately no video or pics of the frenchies, camera battery died earlier in the day. It was a pretty comical show aside from them snagging and keeping over limits of reds. Should have seen them when a grizz came out of the woods. They ran away like it was WWII again!

I have started to carry my phone or camera with me every time I go out in order to get pics or video of the violators. If possible get a photo of their license plate and then turn the information over to the troopers.

They may not be able to respond to every call or be everywhere at once, but if we start to give them photos of violations with the means to positively ID those involved it may help.

Or if you really want to be irritating to violators, start to post their photos on the internet for all to see.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I can't imagine the amount of money they could get for the state by just having a trooper down at the russian full time during the fishing season. They could probably make more there in one week then they could in a month. Most of the people I have seen at Montana are pretty honest during king season. But I see a snag fest going on when the silvers are in. There is a guy at Cottonwood creek that me and one of my buddies are really trying to get busted. He is down there every year, usually bringing a bunch of kids down and snagging fish. Not only is he snagging he is showing these young fishermen that snagging is ok. We are trying really hard to get him.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

They weren't tourists...the king snaggers that is.
    I was mentioning the french dudes on the Russian... Even worse for the guys snagging the Kings because you know they knew exactly what they were doing!

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I was mentioning the french dudes on the Russian... Even worse for the guys snagging the Kings because you know they knew exactly what they were doing!
    Yea I figured you were talking about the frenchies. The king snaggers were from the valley. I had a conversation with them at first to try to glean some info, find out where they were from, their names (which they didn't tell me).

I agree 100% about more enforcement, while fishing down at SHIP crek a week ago we had a individual come down the bank snag a king and with at least a hundred people calling him a snagger and a few other choice words. the troopers where called and they were dispatched to the scene tho we thought, not a single one showed up. honestly i dont think they even care. i even got a photo of the individual and he is also know to do this in others streams in the area. this is absolutely disgusting.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

All snagging waters are terminal fisheries anyway. Enhanced stocks for the purpose of commercial fishing. The sport guys get a few fish out of it paid for by the corporations that run the commercial fleets. There's nothing wrong with snagging in terminal fisheries like that. I don't do it, but to each their own. I think you were joking, but drawing down on someone is absolutely worst case scenario in defense of life. I would never draw down on someone just for snagging a fish. Just give them a piece of my mind and try to get some info so I can get them busted.

You will see Europeans down there every year catching over the limits. They can the fish and ship back home to sell. That is how they pay for their Alaskan vacation. In the past I have seen German's playing that game. The more savvy ones rent an RV and process the fish on the spot before they can be caught with too many fish in the cooler.

I have called on these guys in the past, but they tend to slip away before the troopers show up.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    I agree 100% about more enforcement, while fishing down at SHIP crek a week ago we had a individual come down the bank snag a king and with at least a hundred people calling him a snagger and a few other choice words. the troopers where called and they were dispatched to the scene tho we thought, not a single one showed up. honestly i dont think they even care. i even got a photo of the individual and he is also know to do this in others streams in the area. this is absolutely disgusting.
    Post a photo. That way when others see him they can call him out before he gets a line in the water. We may not be able to write him a ticket, but we can make each and every visit he makes to a stream a miserable one. Plus sooner or later someone will get a photo of his truck. That will give troopers the info the need to ID the guy.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast