Thread: Kevlar Canoe?

Default Kevlar Canoe?

I'm looking for a tandem, 17-18' lightweight canoe -- are there other good shops besides REI in Anchorage? Any used market?

There are others although I don't have names for you.
    Check out the clasifides on this site.
    http://www.kck.org/
    Are you in Anchorage?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yes, Anchorage-based.

Alaska raft and Kayak on Diamond Great guys the manager grew up in Iorn mountian so he's a fellow Yooper. Quick question why kevlar, mighty price stuff with little benifit for the average paddler?

Only interested in kevlar to keep the weight down while still getting a pretty long boat. The lighter the boat the more willing I am to carry it and, consequently, the further I will hike with it to get to more remote waters.

If there is another material that achieves the same without the cost, that would be even better.

Good reasons but you can get a good glass boat that aint much heavier for alot less! Just wonderin'

Default Kevlar canoe

Talk to Pat over at Sportsman warehouse. He is the store Manager, and may be able to order in anything you want. Also down here on the Kenai, the Wilderness way store on the Sterling hwy. Also up in Fairbanks there is a Souris dealer that has Kevlar Canoes.
    There are a few around that deal in the Kevlar canoes.
    The shipping to Alaska is always the killer.
    I ship to Alaska my canoes for my rental fleet and the cost is about 200 bucks. REI does not charge shipping cost, as they price the canoe as the lower 48 price usually... now on Memorial weekend, they have a special Canoe and Kayak sale at REI. up to 30% off all the canoes and Kayaks.
    You will need to be there at the door opening to get the Canoe you want.
    but it is worth it.
    Hope this helps
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Many thanks for the tips, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Good reasons but you can get a good glass boat that aint much heavier for alot less! Just wonderin'
    I am unfamiliar with fiberglass boats that are not much heavier than a Kevlar boat of similar hull design. It's hard to find direct comparisons, because many of the companies building Kevlar boats do not build fiberglass boats. Lincoln Canoes and Kayaks does; these boats from their web site demonstrate my point:

12'8" Symmetrical Shallow V Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 37 lbs
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 54 lbs

14' Symmetrical Shallow V Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 44 lbs
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 65 lbs

16'6" Symmetrical Shallow arch Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 46 lbs.
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 68 lbs

It is a fact that Kevlar boats will frequently cost twice or more in comparison.

Default kevlar ups and downs

kevlar canoes vs Fiberglass canoes.
    I have seen kevlar canoes layed up with polyester resin, same used on Fiberglass canoes,
    I have seen Fiberglass canoes layed up with Epoxy resin, same use on kevlar canoes.
    What is the advantage of a Kevlar canoe layed up with Epoxy resin?
    Very slick, very light, very expensive.
    down sides to kevlar,,
    Kevlar although is used in bullet proof vests, is pretty easy to damage, they are not rock friendly. You would destroy your kevlar canoe going down a river like the Swanson river. I would never ever take or permit one of my kevlar rental boats go down the Swanson river.
    The Epoxy resin altough very strong, and holds its shape very well, does chip fairly easy. These are not bullet proof canoes, and are really only good in applications that don't envolve rocks.
    Kevlar is varily easy to repair, but Epoxy resin is harder to handle in layup than Polyester.
    If I were to own one canoe for Alaska, it would have to be a Roylex boat, probably the Camper in Old Town, or similar.
    16 ft long with good initial stability, great for family, fishing, lakes, flat water rivers, It can handle rocky streams, is quiet, and paddles pretty good, can haul loads like Moose, 1000 lbs or more for rating, and due to the layup of layers with foam as a layer the canoe needs no bulkheads that take up room in your canoe.
    The weight of a Camper or Penobscot is about 57 or 58 lbs,
    I can carry that canoe for a half a mile alone, and I am 50 years old.
    So although Kevlar has its place, Most don't have the need to have several boats in their personel fleet.
    for $1,100.00 a Roylex canoe is a great investment.
    this is just my .02 worth
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Another vote here for the Royalex; I have it in my Penobscot 17. Great capacity, fast hull, handles very well when loaded and exceptionally well when loaded heavily. However, it handles poorly if it's just two paddlers and no gear, especially if that bow (wo)man is much lighter than the stern paddler. You'll need additional ballast if the boat is not loaded, to keep the wind from whipping you every which way.

The Penobscot 16 is around 58 pounds as I recall; the 17 is 65 lbs. They are two different boats in the water. Buy the 16 if you might want to go solo sometimes, or you need quicker turning. Buy the 17 if you don't want to be stuck with a big load waiting for the wind to die down, or if you "feel the need for speed."

Not bad for portaging with the right yoke pad, i.e., the Superior Yoke Pad. "There is no substitute."

Quote Originally Posted by eidsvolling View Post
    I am unfamiliar with fiberglass boats that are not much heavier than a Kevlar boat of similar hull design. It's hard to find direct comparisons, because many of the companies building Kevlar boats do not build fiberglass boats. Lincoln Canoes and Kayaks does; these boats from their web site demonstrate my point:

12'8" Symmetrical Shallow V Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 37 lbs
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 54 lbs

14' Symmetrical Shallow V Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 44 lbs
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 65 lbs

16'6" Symmetrical Shallow arch Paddle-Lite Kevlar/ash rails - 46 lbs.
    Hand-laid fiberglass/vinyl rails - 68 lbs

It is a fact that Kevlar boats will frequently cost twice or more in comparison.
    Do they still make kevlar Boats??? Kevlar is very suseptable to deteriation when exposed to moisture, that's why the kevlar fishing lines didn't survive the matrket and military kevlar vest and helmets are not supposed to be exposed to water for extended periods or they break down and loose thier effectiveness. Just thought I'd ask, personnaly I'd never buy anything made from kevlar that is subjected to water.

Kevlar boats are still vert popular & have a great track record. Heard of problems from UV exposure, but not from water exposure.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."