Thread: 280 AI RL22 loud report

Default 280 AI RL22 loud report

I have never used RL 22 before and decided to try some in my 280 AI. It seems to make a lot more noise then some of the other powders that I have tried. I'm getting good groups and very little pressure signs. Is this common with this powder?

I haven't used it but it is a slow powder so it's probably still burning as the bullet leaves the barrel.

I've burned a lot of RL-22 in my .280AI's, and I don't remember noticing a difference in the sound level. I did get great accuracy and some of the highest velocities, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I've burned a lot of RL-22 in my .280AI's, and I don't remember noticing a difference in the sound level. I did get great accuracy and some of the highest velocities, though.
    I gotta agree with Dan in Alaska. I consider RL22 my staple powder as it provides fuel for probably 50% of my reloading needs. I can't recall any increased noise level while using it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have never used RL 22 before and decided to try some in my 280 AI. It seems to make a lot more noise then some of the other powders that I have tried. I'm getting good groups and very little pressure signs. Is this common with this powder?
    I dunno, but sometimes a HOT load SEEMS to be louder. 280 AI data is pretty HOT, isn't it?

By that I mean that case capacity wise, one shouldn't get the velocities you see in the data.

I have a 280, but no experience with the AI version.

What do you mean by "very little pressure signs"?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

reloading gods must hate me I have never had any luck with RL 22 or RL 19, always go back to H-4831 or H-4350. That all I use anymore I do use RL-15 in my wife 7mm-08 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I dunno, but sometimes a HOT load SEEMS to be louder. 280 AI data is pretty HOT, isn't it?

By that I mean that case capacity wise, one shouldn't get the velocities you see in the data.

I have a 280, but no experience with the AI version.

What do you mean by "very little pressure signs"?

Smitty of the North
    Im starting to get the starting to get flat primers.

Ahemmmm!!!!......
    Well......Loud is loud....a function of exit gas pressure and velocity and exit velocity of the bullet....that's it. Simple rocket science.
    Increase any of the three....get more noise...nothing more.

AI data is hot?? I dunno what that means. The word hot often used to say that a particular load has higher or excess pressure than is spec'd. Ok, but we the hand loader make loads that are either over or under spec'd pressure all the time. AI cartridges, or any of the so called improved cartridges, are pressure spec'd the same as the parent case....in this case the 280 Remington. The industry maximum average pressure for the 280 Remington is 60,000 psi. A maximum load for the 280 with 160 grain bullets and RL-22 is 56.0 grains. Mathematically calculated the same pressure in the AI'd case would be 60.2 grains of RL-22 with the same bullet. Either of those loads may be above 60,000 psi in some particular rifle.

As to pressure signs with the AI cartridges....things are different...this is why so many AI loaders get into trouble.

The difference is partially due to the straighter, less tapered case, grips the chamber wall better and does not move rearward initially as does a more tapered, standard, case. This can leave room for the primer to back out more at firing and that will change the appearance of the primer. This, of course is based on a certain headspace dimension. If we neck size for a tight fit at the shoulder with minimal headspace, there will be less primer thrust and less top hat on the primer when max pressures are reached. I have not other explanation for the loud RL-22 but doubt the powder is any louder than RL-19 or 4831 or 4350...all appropriate powders for a 280, when loaded to the same pressure.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy thanks for the answer. I called the bulllet manufacture today and asked him about the flat primers. He said that I could be pushing the shoulder to far back when I go to resize the brass. I went out today and bought a head space thing from hornady to measure how far I was setting the shoulder back. It seems that I was about .007 off of the shoulder of the rifle. So I'm going to try to just neck size the brass or adjust it so that Im no farther then .002 off the rifle shouulder; by just backing off the die a couple of turns and see if I still get the flat primers.