Thread: Anchor Point or Deep Creek Halibut Advice

Default Anchor Point or Deep Creek Halibut Advice

Hey all. Looking for advice on fishing out of Anchor point or deep creek. I've done it a few times out of deep creek on a charter and didn't really pay attention, and once out of Anchor Point on a buddy's 17' sea runner. This time I will be with a buddy who has a 21' bayrunner and has not fished out of either places. So here's the questions:
    1. Which area is better for Halibut? Probably a dumb question

2. When I went out of Anchor Point in 2009, we just cruised out to 80' of water with no GPS, dropped anchor, and caught 8 fish in 2 hours. Should we try that again?

3. How should we fish the tides? Low tide, high tide... which one is better?

4. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance, and please PM me if you don't feel like telling the world.

high tide is better in shallower water for halibut. I would recommend going no farther than 90 ft. of water in a 21 foot skiff, the water in cook inlet can get rough quick. I know deep creek better and would recommend it but I'm sure there are spots out of anchor point that are just as good.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
    Hey all. Looking for advice on fishing out of Anchor point or deep creek. I've done it a few times out of deep creek on a charter and didn't really pay attention, and once out of Anchor Point on a buddy's 17' sea runner. This time I will be with a buddy who has a 21' bayrunner and has not fished out of either places. So here's the questions:
    SAME WATER, SAME RESULTS, LAUNCH WHERE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE
    2. When I went out of Anchor Point in 2009, we just cruised out to 80' of water with no GPS, dropped anchor, and caught 8 fish in 2 hours. Should we try that again?
    GOOD PLACE TO START
    1 HOUR BEFORE AND AFTER EITHER TIDE. YOUR BEST OPTION, IF THE TIDES ARE SMALLISH (12-16FEET) CAN FISH MUCH LONGER

BE PATIENT, SPECIFICALLY IN SHALLOW WATER, BUT DONT BURN THE WHOLE TIDE IN 1 SPOT,

a 21 foot bayrunner was once the cook inlet cadilac, go have fun!

1) either place the fishing is about the same...
    2) I'd go on out to about 20 fathom, look for some bumps (structure) on the bottom
    3) doesn't make any difference... it's the Turn Around that works...!!
    4) Red Salmon Heads.... for bait

2.) Yes try it again. Can't hurt anything.
    3.) Try arriving as low slack approaches. Having scent in the water through slack tide and into the flood is very good.
    4.) Look for kelp beds. Big halibut like kelp.

Buy a box of herring the charters use (big horse herring). Fish whole herring. No, it is not too big. As said earlier red salmon heads (I like tails) also work great.

BE PATIENT!!!!!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Take two days first go to the kelp beyween Anchor Point and the Bluff 30ft of water or less at low tide! At slack tide look for lanes in the kelp and or rock piles mark them. Go back on the out going tide and anchor use chum bags and scent lots of scent and stay put it will work! Every fish from the kelp is better than any Halibut from any place else!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Hope to put it to the test in the next week.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Do either one in a kayak.............That'll get your adrenaline going,guarrenteed.